Thread: Router table question

Question Router table question

I know there are a million posts on router tables, but I haven't found just what I'm looking for.

So, a week ago on a trip I picked up a Jessem Master Lift II, Jessem Phenolic Table, Jessem Stand, Jessem Master Fence, the Jessem power switch, and the Jessem roller guides. Also picked up a PC 7218 motor. Now that I have it home, and tossed the boxes (darn), I've decided I don't really like the stand. I want to build a cabinet with dust collection and really like the Incra setup rather than building a complete from scratch cabinet. That said, I also like their larger stand which is 38" wide. My top is 32" wide. So, could I build out a larger stand and affix my top to it by caping the stand with 3/4" ply and then screwing my top onto the Ply? As in, the the phenolic top would sit completely on ply and not overhang like on the metal stands.

Crazy idea, but this cross my mind along with mounting it sideways on one end of the same Incra stand so that I can maximize cabinet space underneath. The Jessem stand is square tube steel and not very conducive to an easy stand build or much space.

Appreciate any thoughts while I contemplate my approach to this. And I know, I should have just bought an Incra setup to begin with, but that doesn't help now that I tossed the boxes on this and Woodcraft requires packaging for exchanges.

Greg,

I did something sorta close to what you're contemplating, with a few differences. I have the Master Lift II with the PC 7518 in it. That's mounted to a WoodPecker's MDF table, but I did use a piece of Baltic Birch 3/4" ply under it. Just cut a hole slightly larger than the hole in the router table top. Works great, no sag, and I'd do the same if I'd gone with their phenolic top.

For the stand, I'm using one made by Kreg, with their casters. I think they call it their "universal" stand, in that you can buy different legs and cross members to suit your situation. Plenty of extra holes to make it easy to enclose it with a cabinet if you want. Rock solid and I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Greg,

I did something sorta close to what you're contemplating, with a few differences. I have the Master Lift II with the PC 7518 in it. That's mounted to a WoodPecker's MDF table, but I did use a piece of Baltic Birch 3/4" ply under it. Just cut a hole slightly larger than the hole in the router table top. Works great, no sag, and I'd do the same if I'd gone with their phenolic top.

For the stand, I'm using one made by Kreg, with their casters. I think they call it their "universal" stand, in that you can buy different legs and cross members to suit your situation. Plenty of extra holes to make it easy to enclose it with a cabinet if you want. Rock solid and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks. Here was the closest I could find to what I'm thinking and they used the larger incra stand as their starting point. No clue who's this is, but looks nice with their cast iron top turned sideways on one end. I'm thinking maybe same thing but with my phenolic top and plywood backer. Then build up table on other side as needed to match height. I would continue to use the jessem fence setup though.

Wish I had just ordered an Incra from the start, but I like some features of the Jessem and some of the Incra, so I'm going to have a franken router table I guess. Could have saved a few bucks if I had ordered online instead of buying in the store as I could have pieced this together from the start. Could have picked up the lift and stand direct from Incra and saved some bucks. Anyway, just ordered a few items from Incra and the final router table will be as follows:

Jessem Mast-R-Top phenolic top 32x24
    Jessem Mast-R-Fence with stop
    Jessem Mast-R-Lift
    INCRA MagnaLOCK conversion plate for lift
    INCRA CleanSweep MagnaLOCK Ring Set & Porter-Cable Guide Bushing Ring
    Porter Cable 9 Piece Guide Bushing Set
    Jessem Paralign Feather Board (double pack)
    Jessem Power Switch
    Jessem Clear Cut Stock Guide Set
    INCRA Router table stand - the smaller 28x20 model due to my space limitations
    INCRA Wheel kit
    Porter Cable 7518 Motor with extra 1/4" Collet

(effectively, I'm scrapping the Jessem Stand and the Jessem Lifts top plate in favor of Incra versions. If anyone needs them let me know as I'll probably drop them on eBay or craigslist eventually). I like the setup of the Incra table immensely with regards to the extrusion that accepts 1/2" panels. I would prefer the 38" wide larger stand but really don't have room once I did measurements. It would have added 10" of cabinet space, but would have complicated the top due to the way the Jessem fence mounts to the outside of the table top.

To go with this new table, I grabbed a starter set of Freud bits. Set 91-100 which is a 13 bit variety pack.

The sad part is, I'm just scratching the surface on a nice router table setup. Still have to build a cabinet for storage and dust collection. Router Tables I'm finding to be as bad a rabbit hole as are lathes and wood turning.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-19-2017 at 6:02 PM.

"Router Tables I'm finding to be as bad a rabbit hole as are lathes and wood turning"

Don't you mean 'rabbet hole'?.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    "Router Tables I'm finding to be as bad a rabbit hole as are lathes and wood turning"

Don't you mean 'rabbet hole'?.

Ha....... Yes, I guess so.

Got the incra stand and wasn't thrilled with the size. Was smaller than the Jessem stand so I ended up with a Franken stand too.

tomorrow once the glue is dry I'll work on the face frame and then drawers and dust collection connection. Thinking of using poplar for the face frame but not sure yet on the drawer face. Used 1/2" birch that is primed on one side for the sides.

would I be better with wheels front/back or side/side? I have the incra wheel Kit.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-28-2017 at 7:31 PM.