Thread: Best sub $100 5" Palm ROS ?

Best sub $100 5" Palm ROS ?

Have a Bosch 1295 DVS, was very happy with it till got dropped, vibrates excessively now, so I only use it occasionally on "Rough work".

That model is no longer available, so need to choose another.

I want a palm design, (single hand) 5".

Will be used for final wood sanding before staining.

Festool out of my price range, and I will use it only like 3 hrs/ week.

Under $100 Recommendations ?

And, if a Creeker has a gently used one, PM me. Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 10-18-2017 at 8:31 PM.

Makita BO5031. Was like $80. Comes with a case and just simply fits my hand very well. Smooth operation - have used it a ton and is still very smooth.

Love my little Milwaukee from HD.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Look at the Ridgid R26011 from HD. Been happy with mine and the lifetime warranty is great. (I actually had a small part break on my original earlier this year and Ridgid replaced it with a brand new unit, no questions asked)

After my PC random orbit sander failed for the 2nd time (the low profile model; I forget the model #) I got the Bosch from the local big box store.
    I went with the Bosch as I have a rather large assortment of 5" 8-hole sand paper on hand and they fit the Bosch just right. I would love to add to my green brand (Festool) collection but that would mean a large cash outlay for abrasives.

We have half a dozen Milwaukee 5"-8 hole ROS which have been going strong for 5+ years in a harsh student use environment.

Particular strengths
    - there is no "brake" mechanism needed to prevent free-spinning. I'm not sure why other sanders needed little rubber discs that required frequent replacement but these don't.

- robust and effective hose adapter - dust bags/canisters are mostly worthless - hook a palm sander directly to a vacuum (quiet/tool triggered ideally) for cleanest air and best performance - the existing bag/canister on this sander is easily modified to fit a 1-1/4" hose - said adapter is virtually unbreakable and stays in place unlike many other sanders. You can also buy an extra canister mount/hose adapter for ~$2.00 if you want to use the stock canister + vac hose.

- not one of the variable speed switches on Milwaukee has failed for us- had DeWalt, Metabo and Bosch switches fail previously.

- the hook and loop on the stock pad is pretty robust, replacement pads are not hard to find when somebody uses the sander without paper thus trashing the pad.

Sand on!
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

To me they are disposable items as none of them last over 18 months give or take a couple months. It's one of those things that you just pick your favorite color or buy what happens to be on sale at your favorite tool store. I currently have a Bosch but have owned most every major brand and there really is not much difference between the lot of them.

Robert

Blog Entries
    I’ve got a pair of 1295’s I’ve been running for over a decade. The reason I have two is that when I heard they were going to stop making them I bought another. In their absence I have heard good things about the Milwaukee.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ya, I was happy w 1295, checked Search Tempest and Ebay - none at the moment..was hoping for NOS.. ALTHOUGH - If used, these things are dropped even one time, they can get out of balance and vibrate excessively..AND we cannot tell that buying used usually, so I just ordered a Bosch ROS20VSC $69 and hoping for good enough.

Milwaukee and Makita were considered, just got tired and ordered the Bosch.

Thanks Folks for the opinions. Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 10-22-2017 at 8:38 PM.

Indeed I use this $30 sander. It works fine. I gave it duck taped to a small shop-vac

https://m.harborfreight.com/5-inch-r...not%20provided

I have the DeWalt's that Home Depot sells.
    They're always on sale at about $60.00, and the dust bag port connection is round, which makes it very easy to adapt for use with a normal vacuum. A little electrical tape shim and I'm all set.
    I have three of them individually fitted with 180/220/320 grits. They sit in a stand on the bench when I need them.

I'm also trying out some of the Diablo Sandnet discs sold at Home Depot. They seem good, and I'm hoping the more open netting design is better for dust pickup.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-23-2017 at 8:27 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)