Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water based poly

Water based poly

Wondering if anyone has wet sanded with water based poly?

All of the waterbased polys I have used dry too quickly for wetsanding. I have used it for pore filling by repeatedly applying, then sanding flat (but this is done after it dries each time).

I don't think the OP means sanding it while it is wet.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I wonder. Maybe he'll explain.

I learned a wet sanding technique from turner John Lucas - wet sanding with thin CA glue. (That sets up pretty quickly!) I didn't believe him until I tried it myself. Have to be careful to not glue your fingers but it works amazingly well to fill small voids, cracks, and tearout from Hades. Unlike adding sanding dust then thin CA, the times I used it the repair was almost impossible to see.

JKJ

John, did you use anything - - like BLO or mineral oil - - along with the CA to perhaps slow it down a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    John, did you use anything - - like BLO or mineral oil - - along with the CA to perhaps slow it down a little?
    No, I did it the way Sir Lucas said and haven't tried any variations. It does set up quickly but that's an advantage I guess. I have used the oil method when using CA as a finish though.

For the CA wet sanding I use a relatively coarse paper, maybe 220 or coarser depending on the surface and squirt a little CA directly on a small piece of cloth-backed sandpaper then sand. Throw that piece away when it sets up and get another. I use rolls of sandpaper in a rack by the lathe so I just tear off little strips about 1.5" long from a 1" wide roll. I haven't used this method a lot but as mentioned, it has been so useful (and quick) in special cases.

BTW, if anyone is interested, here's the sandpaper rack I built about 12 years ago - I like the Klingspor gold paper. Each "slot" has both a 1" and 2" roll. (The cut-down paper towel roll is handy too - most of the time I only want a small piece!)

lathe_wall_IMG_5749.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Not sure what OP means?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Not sure what OP means?
    He means you! Original or maybe Originating Poster or maybe Person, take your pick: the person who created the thread with the [OP] next to his name. The VIP.

JKJ

Oh, well, yes I mean to wet the sandpaper and the wood then sand. Prashun's reply was well taken by OP

Sorry if I was confusing. Sanding water based poly While th finish is wet is difficult because it dries so fast. But sanding th dry finish with wet paper is fine. beware if you use mineral spirits as the lubricant here.

Thank you Prashun, I understood what you meant and can see where that would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    beware if you use mineral spirits as the lubricant here.
    what happens?

mineral spirits, if not completely cleaned off the surface, can be incompatible with some waterbased topcoats.

John, where did you purchase roll sand paper that that wide? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Wright View Post
    John, where did you purchase roll sand paper that that wide? Thanks
    I buy 1" and 2" wide rolls of Klingspor Gold from Klingspor: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/categ...POR+GOLD+ROLLS
    They have wider rolls too.

I've tried a lot of different paper and this is my favorite. The heavy cloth backing is flexible but still is stiff enough to roll into a tube or cone and sand tight coves. Tears nicely. I also glue it to strips of wood or plywood to make sanding sticks, both 1" and 2".

sanding_blocks.jpg

Klingspor will give 10% discount to turning clubs if your club signs up. I think they still do that.

JKJ