Thread: Help Please!

Help Please!

I purchased this Chuck used and don't know who produced it. I recently lost a screw (no snarky remarks please) and need to find a replacement. I THINK it's a 10.9 grade metric 6X10 mm. If you can tell me the brand of Chuck I can likely get a replacement from them. I tried our local Fastnal store to no avail.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Passmore; 10-19-2017 at 1:22 PM.

My local Ace Hardware store has metric screws in stock.

I've found eBay to be a good source for odd metric hardware. Also, having a thread checking set on hand makes shopping for said hardware a lot easier!

Not all of the big box stores will have the full line of fasteners. All of the specialty stores like Fastenall will. If you lost the screw in the wood shavings, I use one of the magnetic lamp bases to go fishing....

robo hippy

It looks like an original Nova chuck. Not sure about the apparently textured base, though.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I can't tell if it is a Nova tommy bar or not. May also be a WC or other.
    If you are sure of the 6X10mm then Amazon has them for a set of eight. I think Packard may carry them also.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nova-Spare-Ja...ova+jaw+screws
    Most of my Novas have 10.9 but at least one of my SN (not SN2) has 12.9 hardness. I think any of the oem like Nova or others will be at least 10.9.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks guys. I'm relatively certain that it's not a Nova. I have two other Nova chucks and the screws aren't interchangeable.

if what I see is correct you have 7 more screws take one out and have the pitch and length verified . They should not be that hard to find once you are sure of what it is. remember to size the allen wrench you tighten the screws so they all match.

Looks like a Baracuda chuck to me, your local hardware store will have the screw you need. the only difference is that from PSI the screws have the edges ground off and they charge a pretty penny to do that. i took 1 of the screws to Ace, matched the thread and then touch the edges of the head on the grinder and you will have a perfect match

Thanks Sam. I did find a replacement and you were exactly right---just a little touch-up to the head and it's great.

Tim, now that you found a replacement screw, perhaps consider adding a drop of non-permanent loctite (thread locker) to each screw. I lost a screw or two on one of my chucks, and like you - - went to the specialty bin of either Lowes or Home Despot and got a replacement. Then I loctited all of the screws. As I was doing that I noticed that not all of them were tight. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Tim, now that you found a replacement screw, perhaps consider adding a drop of non-permanent loctite (thread locker) to each screw. I lost a screw or two on one of my chucks, and like you - - went to the specialty bin of either Lowes or Home Despot and got a replacement. Then I loctited all of the screws. As I was doing that I noticed that not all of them were tight. Yikes.
    Huh? You don't change jaws? Or does the non permanent locktite release easily?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    Huh? You don't change jaws? Or does the non permanent locktite release easily?
    Oh, I didn't mention. This wasn't the jaw screws that I was referring to. I was referring to the loose screws on the rear side - - the ones holding the back plate onto the chuck. My bad. No, I don't think that I'd use locktite on the jaws screws, even though the non-permanent stuff does release fairly easily.

Tim, it looked a lot like a WoodRiver chuck that I have. I looked at it yesterday and it has the knurling as shown on yours so most likely it is a WoodRiver for future reference.

Thanks so much Dan.