Thread: Not a Roubo?

Not a Roubo?

A few years back, was in need of a bench for the Dungeon Shop....it had to be easy to move, an easy to build....at the time, I was still working a "day job", too.

Well, dug around, did a bit of dumpster diving....and laid out a few tools. Work area was out on the patio, as the weather was fairly decent...started about Lunchtime...
    SDC15826.jpg
    Had a saw bench set up...
    SDC15828.jpg
    Ripped a waterbed's side (2 x10) down for leg stock..
    SDC15827.jpg
    Meet my Handy-Dandy Jobsite bench. A second 2 x 10 was cut to length for the benchtop, and notched for the legs...
    SDC15829.jpg
    Handsaw to finish the cut. Legs needed a notch cut, too..
    SDC15833.jpg
    A few saw cuts, some chisel work, and cut a stretcher to length...I used LONG screws to assemble the parts...
    SDC15839.jpg
    Got to this point, I could start to use it a bit AS a bench....planed down a couple rough boards to make an apron...
    Had to send the Boss out for more screws....stay tuned...

Ok, screws had arrived. Aprons attached...
    SDC15841.jpg
    First, the ends needed notched, as there would be a 2 x 4 chunk on the ends..
    SDC15843.jpg
    And a toolwell added along the back. Feet pads were a 1 x 6 scrap, and a pair of apron cutoffs for pads. Time to flatten things..
    SDC15845.jpg
    And a framing square to check..
    SDC15847.jpg
    Close enough for the girls I go with....Grandson and I flipped the bench onto the top, slid it down the steps to the shop, and then set it up..
    SDC15848.jpg
    Price of a box of 3" screws, and a Sunday afternoon. Started at 11:00...in the shop before 8:00 pm.
    I had also used the saw bench to plane the saw marks off the leg stock...was a bit wavy..
    SDC15818.jpg
    Maybe later, I can post about how that saw bench was built? It involved the use of a "saw tub" since neither bench had been built, yet.
    Bench has been in use ever since. I added a leg vise, and end vise, and a Crochet..and a few dog holes. Sometimes, one just has to make do, in order to get the work done.
    Thanks for looking in...

Saw Tub? Ladder Bench? Things happen, when you don't have the "correct" items to work on...
    SDC15783.jpg
    So, when I decided to build a saw bench ( first, would help with the bench build later) I needed a way to cut a 7' 2 x 10 down to a decent length. Hence, the Saw Tub.
    Ladder Bench?
    SDC15782.jpg
    The "leftover" from the saw tub, finger clamped into place. Then I can work on the blank for the saw bench's top
    SDC15785.jpg
    Clamped in place, so it wouldn't run away, Notches for the leg were made. Usual suspects for this sort of work. Make a few kerf cuts to get it close, chisel to finish it up.
    SDC15788.jpg
    Had a high spot to smooth out....
    SDC15790.jpg
    I did have to BUY a 2 x 4 x 8'....in order to make four legs....
    SDC15792.jpg
    Set the bevel on a circular saw, and made a few cuts....
    SDC15793.jpg
    Attached with screws, and a brace....this end was easy....
    SDC15794.jpg
    Nice part about this LadderBench....I can stand a part up and still clamp it in place.
    Part two..coming up...stay tuned...

Ok, Legs and braces attached. ut why the inside location for that second brace?
    SDC15795.jpg
    A "V" notch was used at that end, and I didn't want to saw into the brace. Other end stayed square..
    SDC15796.jpg
    Used both planes to level the top, including the end grain of the legs..
    SDC15797.jpg
    Top of the bench is even with my kneecap....

Have used all sorts of saws on this little bench....
    SDC15800.jpg
    Hand saws...
    IMAG0151.jpg
    Mitre boxes.....
    cordless saw.jpg
    To circular saws( with a chalk line) to cut down plywood sheets.
    Not enough room IN the shop, so this little bench stays out on the back porch. Seems to have held up quite nicely...
    Price was for a box of 3" screws, and a 2 x 4 x 8' pine board..less than a ten-spot.....afternoon of work...

Good stuff there Steven-I remember the original posts. Glad to hear they are working out well for you.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!