Thread: Walnut in Walnut

Walnut in Walnut

This morning I was preparing some 2" thick blanks for a Beads of Courage box/lidded bowl demo for this weekend when I found this in a walnut 8/4 board. A walnut nut evidently fell into a crevice in a walnut tree and the tree grew around it. I've seen unusual things in logs and boards before but this is a first for me. It looked a little more like a nut before I ran it through the planer but I didn't think to take a picture of it then.

I've had this and some other boards from the same tree for maybe 30 years and this was the first time I looked at them closely!

The nut looked like it was past it's prime.

walnut_walnut_IMG_20171019_080040_840.jpg

JKJ

The whole Nutty area composition looks like a Muppet face. You might need a good lawyer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    The whole Nutty area composition looks like a Muppet face. You might need a good lawyer!
    Ha, you're right. The planer added white over the eyes! Almost looks like he's praying (or stuffing is face with cookies. Move over, Rorschach!

JKJ

Here is a Tennessee walnut. I was working up there during the walnut season years ago and would crack open nuts to snack on. I still have this one.

Walnut face.jpg

I used to own a place in TN near Leiper's Fork. There was a huge old red oak tree at the top of the driveway. I called it Council Tree, because the property was surely an old Indian Camp with an artesian spring at the road. Anyway, the red oak looked like a huge hand, because the center had been hit by lightning probably a hundred years prior. One day I climbed up to the crotch of that tree, and in the moss that was about 6" thick was a walnut tree growing. The walnut tree that the nut came from was taller and up the hill about 50 feet.

After I sold that property, I came back past it about 5 years later, and the fools I'd sold the property to had removed the Council Tree to get a double wide trailer onto the ledge above it. The oak was about 8 foot in diameter at 3 feet above the ground. What an interesting piece of wood if the walnut grew substantially through and into the crotch of that oak.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    One day I climbed up to the crotch of that tree, and in the moss that was about 6" thick was a walnut tree growing. The walnut tree that the nut came from was taller and up the hill about 50 feet.
    Interesting, I had not heard of this grafting technique.
    RD