Thread: Spindle adapter?

Spindle adapter?

Hoping someone can help me out here. My new lathe has a 1 1/4 X 8 spindle and my old lathe has a 3/4 X 16 spindle. I would like to make a 12" sanding disc out of plywood and attach it to an old 3/4 X 16 faceplate. In order to do this I am trying to find an adapter with a 1 1/4 8 inside thread on one end and a 3/4 X 16 outside thread on the other end. I found this on the net but it is in Australia and I'd like to know if anyone has seen a source for something like this in America?

Adapter.jpg

IMHO the best thing for you to do is get a Beall 1 1/4 X 8 tap and make a wood face plate to fit your lathe. Cheaper and you can make so many other things to fit the new lathe.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Sid gave you good advice.
    There are a few companies out there who make the adapter you're looking for. Recordpower (UK) has one for 20 pounds. I've seen some others out there but I can't recall who (Pennstate industries? ) I thought that Grizzly had an adapter but when I looked a minute ago I couldn't find it.

Best Wood Tools has what you need.

Barry, you could just glue on a waste block and turn a recess or tenon so the sanding disc can be chucked. That would avoid using a faceplate altogether.

Left click my name for homepage link.

You might try to see if you can find a #2 Morse taper with that thread instead of a spindle adapter. However I have the Beall tap I would use for that and other things such as homemade vacuum chucks.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks Sid, Brice and Bill for the advice.....
    John...that certainly is an option but since I only have one good chuck I was wanting a faceplate on the sanding disc so I could just mount it on the lathe anytime without having to change jaws on my chuck...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Thanks Sid, Brice and Bill for the advice.....
    John...that certainly is an option but since I only have one good chuck I was wanting a faceplate on the sanding disc so I could just mount it on the lathe anytime without having to change jaws on my chuck...
    Another option: any reasonable machinist can cut the proper spindle thread in your existing faceplate (if there is enough metal thickness) or make a new faceplate from scratch or simply re-thread an appropriate metal flange to make a face plate.

Also, you might find an adapter to fit an off-the-shelf flange from the hardware store - I have a number of vacuum chucks made from flanges and a 1-1/4"x8 adapter that fits the flanges. (I got them and the adapter along with a vacuum pump so I can't tell you where the parts came from.)

Or how about buying a faceplate with the thread you need? I don't know what you can get in Canada but when I type 1-1/4x8 faceplate into the search box in Amazon I see a bunch, one just $24. If you somehow accidentally or magically find your self in East TN I might even trade you one in exchange for a good story!

BTW, if you make or find a morse taper shaft you can connect to make sure it has a drawbar to hold it in place - a spinning 12" disk coming off the lathe could be exciting! I've made morse tapers from wood for special purposes.

JKJ

PSI has what you need. Cheap too. There are other suppliers if you search the web. Don’t get an aluminum one.... steel is what you want.

I expect that a faceplate that fits your lathe would be less expensive than a spindle adapter. If you really want a spindle adapter then PSI might have something. Otherwise, I believe Oneway will make custom spindle adapters. I happen to have an old Shopsmith sanding disk that fits on my lathe with a Morse taper adapter. It tends to come loose now and then, usually at the worst possible time, so I wouldn't recommend that unless you use a drawbar on the Morse taper adapter.

I guess I'll probably end up with getting a 6" faceplate for the sanding disc.... My lathe came with a 3" faceplate and I'm trying to get a 6" one from Oneway but not being too successful... maybe a bit off topic here but I've ordered many things from Oneway and have always been satisfied with the quality and service..I ordered a few things recently and when they came (only 2 day wait) the 6" faceplate was back ordered. When I ordered it the webpage said "in stock" so when I found out it was back ordered I checked the web again and it still said "in stock". I called Oneway to find out why it says it is in stock and she says "oh you can't go by that".. which I said then why have stock levels on the page if they are not kept current. It's been 3 weeks now and still no faceplate (she said 2 to 3 weeks). I also returned a curved tool rest (unused) with a 3/4" post and ordered the same rest with a 1" post and was told as soon as they receive it they will credit me. Canada Post shows it was delivered to them on Oct.6 and I still don't have any credit. I called to ask why and was told the lady that does returns is not in today and they will check on Monday. Certainly not the level of customer service I'm used to from Oneway...