Thread: BIN Over Laquer

BIN Over Laquer

I want to spray a coffee table with BM Advance. The table has as best I can determine a lacquer based finish. (Lacquer thinner made it tacky but not alcohol.) I was thinking to use BIN as a primer. Here are my questions.
    1. Do I need a primer? The present finish is dark and BIN is white so it might save a coat of paint. But do I really need to put primer over the old finish and if so why?
    2. In what manner does the old finish need to be prepped? Just cleaned well, or does it need to be sanded to break the glaze? Or just rubbed down with Lacquer thinner?
    Thanks

If you have spray gear, how about just shellac as a barrier coat? Shellac sticks to most things and most things stick to shellac.

I agree with Curt that de-waxed shellac is a suitable alternative "primer" since a primary function of a primer is to prepare a surface for best finish adhesion. You should still abrade the existing finish with fine sandpaper and thoroughly clean the piece for best results. That said, BIN does have the benefit of the neutral color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bernie,

B-I-N Primer is shellac with some pigment in it. It will adhere to lacquer. Your concern would be what is on the lacquer, e.g., silicone dusting aids and furniture polish, also, perhaps, grease from French fries, crayon wax, who knows? I would lightly sand the top, at least, and then apply primer (either B-I-N or dewaxed shellac).

Doug

Thank you for the responses. But one question remains, can BM advance be applied directly to the properly cleaned and sanded lightly lacquer finish without a primer in between? Will there be adhesion problems?

It might, but why? Shellac based primer allows you to easily deal with imperfections and it is more certain that the BIN will stick to the lacqer and that the BM Advance will stick to it.

Save yourself the "what if" and just prime with BIN. I've used it under BM ADVANCE and it performs wonderfully. If you're spraying ADVANCE, you'll want 2 coats minimum.
    -Lud

Be aware that there are several BIN primer products. You want the BIN white pigmented shellac based one. Also, you can use Transtint dye or UTC's to tint it any color you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-00908...rds=bin+primer

John

Thanks again for the advice. I have always spayed Advance using BIN as a primer either on bare wood or items with a shellac finish. And it has worked wonderfully for me on several built-ins and also painted furniture pieces. This is my first attempt to refinish (paint) over clear lacquer. I have a question about spraying BIN and so not to change this thread I will start another one.

I sprayed a couple of old clear lacquer items recently. Just rubbed down the lacquer to create a key, removed the dust, wiped over with shop towel damp with alcohol and sprayed GF Milk Paint directly (no primer needed). Couple of coats and looks great