Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Walnut shallow bowl.

Talking Black Walnut shallow bowl.

I finally finish turned the second half of this Walnut crotch, originally rough turned it a dozen years ago, the first half I returned in July 2015.

This wood has lots of colors and a nice feather in it, I kept the bowl shallow to not turn all that figure away, it is 14” X 2 ½”

As I haven’t shown any of my turnings for a while I thought this was a good one to show, and so all comments are welcome.

Black Walnut crotchwood.jpg Black Walnut crotch.jpg Black Walnut crotchwood bottom.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-20-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: whoops, 1215, Im’ not that old yet ;-)
    Have fun and take care

That's a beauty. Really like the shape and the wood grain. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I finally finish turned the second half of this Walnut crotch, originally rough turned it a dozen years ago, the first half I returned in July 1215.
    Leo, I know you have been turning a long time - just didn’t realize it had been THAT long!! Great piece of wood and a nice bowl.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Beautiful figure and beautiful job. I assume tung oil? I'll bet it has a soft glow as well.

Sir, I like it.

Very nice bowl as usual for you. You have managed to capture some of the blue color that shows on fresh cut walnut but usually goes away when finished--very nice. Can you share your finishing method with us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    That's a beauty. Really like the shape and the wood grain. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you for commenting Greg .
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Leo, I know you have been turning a long time - just didn’t realize it had been THAT long!! Great piece of wood and a nice bowl.
    Thanks for catching that goof John , and thanks for your comment on the bowl
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Beautiful figure and beautiful job. I assume tung oil? I'll bet it has a soft glow as well.
    Thanks for looking and your comment Dave , and yes my usual Polymerized Tung Oil Finish, nice and I like the outcome of it.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Harvill View Post
    Sir, I like it.
    Thanks for looking and your reply Louis
    Have fun and take care

A color riot! Mesmerizing polymerizing!

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Very nice bowl as usual for you. You have managed to capture some of the blue color that shows on fresh cut walnut but usually goes away when finished--very nice. Can you share your finishing method with us ?
    Thank you Robert, I always hope you will comment, as I value and appreciate it , I use the pure polymerized Tung Oil from Lee Valley, first I go for a very smooth surface and then add a good coat of the PTO (Polymerized Tung Oil), let it soak in for maybe 5 to 10 minutes (depend on temps and humidity) then wipe it down real good, with open grain like Walnut I do go back at least once to re-wipe for the bleed-out you will get with that, then let it harden up for a day before adding another coat, depending what I want, I will add a couple more coats as before.

Yes the colors are showing now, but I do expect these to mellow over time as is my experience with any wood and color over time.
    Have fun and take care

Lovely work, Leo. Great piece of wood and a really nice shape. Thank's for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Another stunning piece, Leo. They just keep getting better and better. I think this is my favorite of all the bowls you've shown us since I joined. I love walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Lovely work, Leo. Great piece of wood and a really nice shape. Thank's for sharing.
    Thank you for looking and commenting Ted, I appreciate it
    Have fun and take care