Thread: Stanley Miter box find, what model is it?

Stanley Miter box find, what model is it?

I posted in another thread about looking for a miter box, I found this Stanley Miter box, I think it is very old. It seems in good shape and came with a disston backsaw. I got it and a no 220 plane for 50$ together.

How do I clean up the saw without damaging the etch marks? would evaporust work?

Anything to look for on the miter box? is it complete? The blade holders that hold the blade up are there, but I don't know much about miter boxes this is the first one I have looked at closely (other then plastic ones)

At first I thought is was a no 60 now I think it might be a 244?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cody michael; 10-20-2017 at 9:49 AM.

Frame No. 2, saw would be 4" under the spine (depth) and saw plate would be listed as a 24" long saw.

Missing? would be the two stock holders, that sit in the dados in the wooden bed. All else seems to be there...
    stowed holder.jpg
    Around back...there was a thumbscrew and a clip. This stockholder is in the stowed setting. Nothing more than a rod and a piece of flat stock. These are to hold a board in place, while you are sawing on it.

Knob on the 220 plane....Carefully unscrew it, inkect some glue into the cracks, and clamp them tight. Will save the knob from splitting any further..

I noticed those from some research I just did, seems very easy to make. I have a welder.

Is it supposed to have a pointer for the degree measurement or do you check what angle it is cutting using another method?

Easiest way to check the angle being cut...just look where the saw is going across the scale. Most boxes do have a pointer, and some just have a line marked on the swing arm. There should also be detents under the scale, to lock in a angle setting.
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Better view. Note the pointer? easy to make out of sheet metal, There should be a pair of holes where a missing pointer was, use those to attach a new one, if needed. This one was just a flat piece of steel, with a line scribed across it, square ti the back of the box.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 10-20-2017 at 6:25 PM.