Thread: 16th Century Document Chest

16th Century Document Chest

16th Century patterned document chest with a hand carved lid. From the 1400's onward similar chests we're used to store writing materials. This chest is in pine and finished with red garnet shellac, similar to materials readily available during the 16th Century.IMG_20170310_151138377.jpgIMG_20170310_151157632.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Berklich; 10-20-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Pardon my ignorance but would something from the 16th century have metal handles and hinges? Especially for writing materials. I would assume that the only people that could read and write would have been the monks and maybe some priests. Due to their vows of poverty (I know any of the vows were often ignored) I would assume these types of boxes would have used rope instead of forged metals.
    Wood'N'Scout

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but would something from the 16th century have metal handles and hinges?
    Do a search for "16th century french leather covered casket". They had metal handles and metal hinges. Certainly not as nice as the brass ones in the writing box above, but hinges have been around for a long time. You can also do a search on "the history of hinges" and see some interesting designs.

Nice looking box Bill. Now all you need are some old documents.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but would something from the 16th century have metal handles and hinges? Especially for writing materials. I would assume that the only people that could read and write would have been the monks and maybe some priests. Due to their vows of poverty (I know any of the vows were often ignored) I would assume these types of boxes would have used rope instead of forged metals.
    By the late 16th Century Gutenberg's press had been in operation for over 100 years. Literacy rates were climbing to about 25% of the male population and writing in the Lord, Mercantile, and professional classes exceeded 60%. A chest similar in design could easily be found in the home of a young rising merchant or professional. Exterior ornamentation would of course increase along with income and stature.

Metal working during in this period was gaining in sophistication. Very complex clocks and optics were being created. Both rolled and pierced hinges were available and a piece of this type would most likely have a hasp to secure the lid. As far as the cup handles, though not unheard of they were not common. Most small chests did not have handles or had bail type handles. (I didn't happen to have any laying around)

But as as I said initially it's a 16th Century pattern piece, definitely not a reproduction in any sense of the word. Merely a reminisce in wood from days of yore and a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Do a search for "16th century french leather covered casket". They had metal handles and metal hinges. Certainly not as nice as the brass ones in the writing box above, but hinges have been around for a long time. You can also do a search on "the history of hinges" and see some interesting designs.

Nice looking box Bill. Now all you need are some old documents.....
    Sweet!! I may try to do a nicer one wrapped in parchment. I need a place for my feather quills :-)

Very nice! I especially like the carving.

I also like the carving.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Great idea.

Thanks for the information. I am surprised that the literacy rate was that high back then. Good looking box. How was the lid carving done?
    Wood'N'Scout

I like the carving too. Why is there a yellow C on the lid ?
    Aj

Nice work and really like the carving too.