Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pricing question

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    Well guys - the contractor I'm working with advised me to up it by another 1K at least. That got me a little nervous but I did it anyway - I won't ever regret a job I didn't get for sure. They took the offer instantly - which makes me think it might be a little low but hey - this is a learning process for me.
    That reminds me of the time my boss said we need to get into cellphone tower building. I had been doing very well with the electrical end of cell sites and was anxious about getting into something I had no idea how to bid. My boss threw some numbers at me and said "Go with it!" So I did.

The PM for the GC I had been working with for years called me and said, "I have good news and bad news, and they are both the same. You got all three jobs." I paused for about ten seconds and said, "It's that bad?"

No need to say how we did.

Some advise, Rick: Watch everything and don't be shy about asking for change orders for anything that wasn't in the contract.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yep - my contractor guy I owe a big ole lunch to for upping it another 1K. I'm now a lot more comfortable that I'm not short changing myself too much. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    That reminds me of the time my boss said we need to get into cellphone tower building. I had been doing very well with the electrical end of cell sites and was anxious about getting into something I had no idea how to bid. My boss threw some numbers at me and said "Go with it!" So I did.

The PM for the GC I had been working with for years called me and said, "I have good news and bad news, and they are both the same. You got all three jobs." I paused for about ten seconds and said, "It's that bad?"

No need to say how we did.

Some advise, Rick: Watch everything and don't be shy about asking for change orders for anything that wasn't in the contract.
    One thing being a chemist by trade will do for you is teach you to keep meticulous records. I'm planning my shop time better than I've ever done and have the most complete parts list and plan ever so I think this will go off without a hitch. Plus my contractor wants to apprentice with me when he can to learn how to do this and will work for free in the process. Hardest working man I ever met and that is a hard thing for me to say because I grew up thinking my dad was until him. If my dad was still here he would agree.