Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective: Woodworking as Speech Therapy

Perspective: Woodworking as Speech Therapy

I hope this is not off topic. If it is, my apologies, but it comes in light of a discussion that has perennially been around, both here and other places.

I am by no means an expert in anything related to the subject of woodworking. In my area of study and labor, I trust I can hold my own and speak with some authority. I will not make the same claim in the field of woodworking. This is why most of my posts are limited to, “Hey, great job on that piece of furniture," or, "Here's my latest piece of furniture." There’s another reason, though.

What particularly interests me in woodworking is the end product – furniture. The beauty of figured grain, craftsmanship to know where that grain will best be shown off and how it can best be displayed, to know when “better” is the enemy of “good” – that’s what attracts me to woodworking. This is what I long to learn about. As a result, I view my tools as speech therapists, if you will. Their purpose is to get the wood to speak as clearly and as articulately as it can. Sometimes a lot of tools are required to perform this therapy, but the purpose is always the speech.

One of my favorite woodworkers is Kerry Pierce. He, if I’m not mistaken, is an editor to Woodwork magazine and an author of many articles and books. I recall reading Pierce’s book on chairs and noting that he used a modified craftsman lathe to produce his amazing Shaker rockers. He even discussed in his book how he could not afford much better than this and how he was always making due as a result of budget limitations. That has always stuck with me – some of the most common tools making some of the most uncommon pieces of furniture.

I’m all about iron and expensive tools. I, like many others, have tools that I certainly could do without, and some might argue that I should do without i.e. the Leigh D4 (lol). The tailless crowd might even argue that I should get rid of most of my tools, and that makes for a fun, fraternal debate. I’m all about tool gloats (I’ve made a couple), and I enjoy shop tours (I’ve even given one). But what attracts me to SMC, is what attracts me to FWW, is what even attracts me to Wood magazine – the beauty of wooden furniture – that fine craftsmen and women use their hands, in conjunction with their tools, to teach a crude tree how to speak with beautiful prose! That, my fellow woodworkers, is what it is all about (for me)! Hence, while I enjoy the “Tool Crib” mail call, the Moser mail call (M.M.C. for short) is a lot more inspiring.

In short, keep building that wooden eye-candy with whatever you have! Oh, and don’t forget to post it! The woodworker in all of us, wants to hear it speak!

AMEN. Very well said and I agree.

Excellent post Jason.......Thank You.

Jason
    You but your thoughts together in a well structured manor and were able to articulate those thoughts thoroughly, well done indeed.
    I believe you summed it up for a lot of woodworkers, both hobbiest and pros. Again, well done.

Thumbs up

Great post John,

I see woodworking more as a means to an end, artisticly not financially.

I wholeheatedly agree!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jason,
    I hope I don't sound redundant...but frankly I don't care...You continue to be inspiring. You "get" it...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Jason my friend...that may be the best several paragraphs I have ever read on SMC.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Well spoken Jason. You have put into words what a lot of us I'm sure feel.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Jason,

As the others have said, very well done. As for me, I'm a bit different. For me the process is everything. Woodworking and being in the shop is spiritually therapeutic. I love seeing the projects here on the "Creek." There is more than craftsmanship, there is intelligence and art. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to accomplish the same level of work that I've seen here. But no matter, being in the shop and creating is all I need.

The only argument I would have with your post is your claim of not being an expert. It seems your work would argue to the contrary.

Again, well done.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Hey Jason: As they say in your business, "That 'll preach!" Well said and said well.

Thanks for taking time to share you thoughts with us. Blessings, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Well, Jason, that was a wonderful way to use your vocation within your avocation! Well said!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason,
    I couldn'd agree more with your sentiments, but will add a feature that for me was a second major attraction to this craft. Stress comes from all sorts of places. Could be the day job, could be a personal relationship sort of thing, could be life's sometimes unfair circurstances, could be from anything. If stress has got you stressed out, and for all of us that must be true to some extent, clearing the mind and soul to permit one to proceed along is a needed thereaputic.

If you lose your concentration when buidling a piece, you will either lose a finger, or be headed back to the wood pile for replacement stock. Total concentration is required, at least for me.

When you totally concentrate on a piece of X, then (again, at least for me), you necessarily empty your mind of all that is then extraneous. For a time, whether an hour or a long day, you are hyper focued on something that is not stressful (at least in the larger sense). It is a true cleansing, and it permits one to attack the issues of the day with a fresh mind, and a positive attitude.

It is a pretty rare day indeed where I leave the shop with an attitude that is not positive and a spirit that is not bright.

My day job that supports my second career is a stressful job, by definition, and I figure that it is the shop time that keeps my head semi-together. I suspect that for others this is true as well.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Well done, Jason, well done.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Jason....that is a post that will stick with me for a long time to come. I like to think I can communicate well....but after reading the wonderful words you have just laid out it is obvious, to me, that I have much to learn in this respect.