Thread: Barn sale!

Barn sale!

Two of the best words I like to see in an ad...

Doctor's visit should it was just a cyst, nothing to worry about....
    On the way back home, saw a large sign that said BARN SALE......so, instead of following the State route around a curve..we took the county road straight ahead...about 1/4 of a mile from the next county road, a barn loomed up on the right....pulled in...wasn't much IN the barn, for me. However, my nose detected RUST along one side of the barn..

Table had a few items...drills and such, a small 110-ish block plane....and there was a bucket FULL of drills. I only had $5 on me...had to pick and choose...
    IMG_2273 (640x480).jpg
    Already had the M-F 120 drill, didn't need another. This looked like a Millers Falls No. 2-01.....but..
    IMG_2274 (640x480).jpg
    There was a drill bit inside, and one in the chuck. Cap is tight....
    IMG_2272 (640x480).jpg
    "Chef"s hat" knob, Needed a drop or two of 3in1 oil into the oiler holes. Runs great. May need to straighten the crank, Gears had an extra detail..
    IMG_2275 (640x480).jpg
    So..for $5, not too bad of a day..including the arm news?
    (Wonder IF the Sears Warranty is still good...)

Blog Entries
    (Wonder IF the Sears Warranty is still good...)

May be, but it would likely be a crappy replacement.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    A quick search didn't show any new Craftsman eggbeater drills.

There was one listed that looks just like yours at Bonanza for $80.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Mine has the enclosed gear box.IMG_3105[1].jpg IMG_3104[1].jpg IMG_3103[1].jpg
    Rick

Near as I can find out...Millers Falls No.78, made to be sold at Sears. Haven't found any made by Stanley that looked close.....

Made from 1971-1978.....

You have Sears??? stores?

Still one over in Piqua, OH....and one up in Lima, OH....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Selinger View Post
    You have Sears??? stores?
    The next town over - the big city in our county, 175,000 people, has a Sears store, but the management insists that the tool warranty requires a receipt proving that you bought that very tool in that very store, words nowhere present in the actual warranty on the Sears website. Fortunately, the Ace Hardware chain carries Craftsman tools, and my local (two miles away) hardware store honors the actual warranty, useful for some hand tools, although not for eggbeater drills.

Blog Entries
    Sears store, but the management insists that the tool warranty requires a receipt proving that you bought that very tool in that very store
    That is the kind of treatment that gets buyers to head to a different retailer. Sometimes a complaint up the line will bring about a change. Sometimes in management, sometimes in policy.

A similar event happened to me with a Snap-On tool. The Snap-On vendor for the shop employing me didn't want to make good on the warranty. One day, before going out with my wife on a long drive it occurred to me we would be passing a Snap-On warehouse and office center. The person on duty there was willing to exchange my broken 1/4" drive ratchet wrench for a new one. Mine was from circa WWII and they no longer made replacement ratchets. Needless to say the Snap-On vendor who serviced my workplace didn't get anymore of my business.

A lifetime warranty is only as good as the lifetime of the company backing it. How the individuals in charge of administering warranty service treat customers can make it more of a detraction than a benefit.

jtk

Now, the question is...is this a Millers Falls No. 78? 1971-1979....?

Don't know, Steven, but I've had that drill. Pretty decent tool, as I recall, but it moved on to a new home when I thinned the herd a while back.

Stephen ... good luck on two counts!

My 2a ... ('57-'68) which was given to me new as a kid, and I still use on occasion. The 3-jaw chuck is very precise but the drill itself is a bit heavy for the smallest bits.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-24-2017 at 1:47 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius