Thread: Old rough turned Apple returned and finished 24cm X 9cm

Smile Old rough turned Apple returned and finished 24cm X 9cm

I re-turned a couple of Applewood rough outs that have sat for better than 20 years, as I didn’t have a wood chuck yet then, I used short screws to hold the piece on a faceplate.

Of course the holes in the top where turned away, but in the bottom they where still present, luckely there was enough wood to remove the holes, as I don’t like to glue on some felt as I did years ago , but the reason for the bottom shape

The bowl is about 24cm X 9cm or 9 ½” X 3 ½”

I also added 2 spoons I carved from slightly spalted Elm wood.

All comments welcome

Applewood bowl 2.jpgApplewood bowl & spoons.jpgApplewood bowl bottom 1.jpgApplewood side vitw.jpg
    Have fun and take care

All my large apple trees are hollow. Some just have crescent shaped trunks. Still produce lots of apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    All my large apple trees are hollow. Some just have crescent shaped trunks. Still produce lots of apples.
    Thanks Dane

The orchard Apple trees are often heavily trimmed and rot then will set in well before the wound is grown over by new wood, the wood I get is usually not very big, still a good size for Apple trees, I think my biggest was less than 14” in diameter.

The logs of wild grown Apple trees are usually with solid wood as they are not trimmed like orchard trees, but also smaller in size most times.
    Have fun and take care

Very nice, did you make the serving utensils too? What a great set.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Very nice, did you make the serving utensils too? What a great set.
    Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment Dave .

Yes I carved the utensils also,
    Have fun and take care

Beautiful piece Leo, love the finish. If I still have small screw holes from faceplate on the inside of a warped dried bowl I turning I just use same color sawdust, fill the hole and use CA. I also like the design on the bottom of your bowl.

You sure do a lot of very nice turning Leo! This bowl looks like it wants to be used at a comfortable table.

I've not had access to apple. Is the heart commonly such a beautiful brown? Will it darken with age?
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Wright View Post
    Beautiful piece Leo, love the finish. If I still have small screw holes from faceplate on the inside of a warped dried bowl I turning I just use same color sawdust, fill the hole and use CA. I also like the design on the bottom of your bowl.
    Thanks Lamar , the screw holes are the ones on the outside of the bottom, and that is the reason for the shape of the bottom as it is now to get rid of them .
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    You sure do a lot of very nice turning Leo! This bowl looks like it wants to be used at a comfortable table.

I've not had access to apple. Is the heart commonly such a beautiful brown? Will it darken with age?
    Thanks for commenting Richard, Applewood has many colors from near white to dark reddish and all in between, the color as in all woods does change some, I have two pictures of our daily used bread bowl that I turned in 2001 and a picture of that same bowl about12 years or so after, you can see the changes of both the color and the changes in the wood that happened.

Applewood bowl 2001.jpg Appewood bowl now.jpg

Also a couple more Applewood turning pictures.

Applewood platter.jpg Applewood bowl color.jpg Applewod with opening.jpg Applewood natural edge.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo. There's quite a bit of color range. I especially like the unusual streaking in the next to last bowl.

All very nice.
    RD

Thanks Leo. There's quite a bit of color range. I especially like the unusual streaking in the next to last bowl.

All very nice.
    Richard I like to turn Apple wood because that Apple wood turns so nice, and the coloration is all over the place plus the way these colors show, and the spalting you can get in a different coloration than the typical black lines,while still getting them as well, I pulled a few of my Applewood turning pictures here to show, while I have quite a few more these do show some of what comes along with Applewood as well as the steep deeper divot like spots Apple often has, see last two pictures.

Apple wood 1.jpgApple wood spalted.jpgApple wood spalt.jpgApple wood sharktooth.jpgApple wood large.jpgApplewood roughouts.jpgApple wood opening.jpgApplewood with opening.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Wow, number 4 is stunning!

Thanks Leo
    RD

Wow, number 4 is stunning!

Thanks Leo
    You are very welcome Richard
    Have fun and take care