Thread: Cutting phenolic

Cutting phenolic

Anybody tried drilling phenolic with a 1 1/2" Forstner bit?? I would like to do it, but don't want to ruin my bit.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick ... you'll minimize the wear on the bit by first coring-out with a hole saw.

Rick I think phenolic works OK. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...tting-Phenolic
    If you start with a hole saw you will lose the guidance provided by the center spur of your Forstner bit,
    Do you have a carbide Forstner bit? If not, consider just cutting it with a 1 1/2" hole saw

Doug

For holes larger than a twist drill, I use a template and router with and a straight carbide bit.

John

For holes larger than a twist drill, I use a template and router with and a straight carbide bit.
    +1 on this. Use your good Forstner to make the template.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    +1 on this. Use your good Forstner to make the template.
    +1 on using the router with a template
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

How thick is your phenolic? I've successfully drilled lots of holes with Forstner bits in relatively thin phenolic/micarta - but most of the stock I use is no more than 0.50". If the phenolic is actually a glass fiber base (like G10), then I would definitely go with the router. The glass is a lot harder on bits than the cotton substrate in phenolic.

Also, make sure to take care of dust collection and wear a mask and faceshield. The dust generated by composites like this is really nasty.

Thanks guys, I will try the router route.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.