Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting a groove? Asking the experts :)

Cutting a groove? Asking the experts :)

Channel.png

How would you get a groove like this in a piece of wood. It will be about 1/2 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long
    Last edited by Jill Magill; 10-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Raise a dado stack to a predetermined height into a piece of wood clamped to the top of a table saw.
    What is the final maximum depth? From that number and desired length, you could get the chord length, and determine the radius of the blade required.

The examples you set would probably be accomplished with a 6" dado stack.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

You'd clamp a board to a tablesaw and raise the blade into it. You'd have to do this at a few positions. If you Google 'speed tenon' or 'coves on the table saw' you'll see possible ways to do this. Caveat emptor.

Secure the piece with clamps, Plunge a 1/2” dado stack up from below on the table saw. Or lower a dado stack on the RAS. - depending if the radius of the curve fits the dado radius.

Or make a swinging router jig.

Those would be my first thoughts.

Thank-you. So quick. I will look at those ideas.

Your replies got me moving in the right direction. I am going to make a jig like this.

Router jig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Magill View Post
    Your replies got me moving in the right direction. I am going to make a jig like this.

Router jig.jpg
    Make sure to use a bit with bottom cutters.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

One more comment. It would be a lot easier (and safer) if you can cut the groove before cutting the piece to 3-4" long. It is much easier to clamp if it is 12" long.
    Steve

Router jig.jpg
    That doesn't look at all like a tablesaw

Blog Entries

Router jig.jpg

You're going to need guides to keep the router centered.......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Channel.png

How would you get a groove like this in a piece of wood. It will be about 1/2 inch wide and 3 to 4 inches long
    Is that your model? What is the radius & depth of cut?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Router jig.jpg
    Yea, this was something along the line of what I was going to offer up as an idea. The small size of the pieces may not work well with the radius of a typical dado stack, so swinging a router bit as illustrated can be more flexible in that respect. You will want a small base on the router so that it doesn't soften the radius too much.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are almost always multiple ways to accomplish anything in woodworking ... another option in this case (depending on what will be showing, needing to match grain, etc) would be to cut a square mortise then cut a 2nd piece that has the proper curve/radius and then drop and glue that into the mortise. While that might seem like more work, if you only need one of these (and not a whole bunch) it's actually probably faster than building a specialized router jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    There are almost always multiple ways to accomplish anything in woodworking.
    If only one is needed, start with three strips of wood. Use a bandsaw to cut the curve in what will become the center and glue together.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    If only one is needed, start with three strips of wood. Use a bandsaw to cut the curve in what will become the center and glue together.
    Excellent suggestion. And if one chooses the material carefully, the glue lines will virtually disappear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...