Thread: Cleaning the packing grease off of a spiral cutterhead

Cleaning the packing grease off of a spiral cutterhead

Morning all,

I got a new jointer and assembled it this weekend. It has a spiral cutterhead whoch is absolutely caked with packing grease. What's the best way to take care of that? Should I just remove the head and soak it in mineral spirits or something similar? I assume removing the head is fairly simple but after dealing with the placement of some of the bolts during assembly that assumption may not be wise.

Thanks

Long, boring job, but I'd remove all the individual cutters and let them soak in a jar of mineral spirits while I cleaned the gunk off of the bare cutter head.

Personally, I'd just run a bunch of scrap wood through it and clean up the aftermath. I don't see the point in tearing down a new machine just to get the grease off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    ...got a new jointer and assembled it this weekend. It has a spiral cutterhead whoch is absolutely caked with packing grease...
    My guess would be Asian import.

Try S100 Motorcycle Wheel Cleaner.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I cover the surfaces in the firing line with taped down cardboard and scrap ply and let 'er rip. I then use an acid brush and some mineral spirits to clean out the remainder. I suppose it depends on the machine to some extent but, this really only took 15 or 20 minutes. Do wear gloves; those inserts are sharp.

Here's my planer done pretty much the same way:

G0453Z-clean-up-001.jpgG0453Z-clean-up-003.jpgG0453Z-clean-up-002.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There's lots of solvents that remove the cosmoline off new machines, but I found that Kerosene was the quickest and most effective. Way less work than the Mineral Spirits I started out with.

Blog Entries
    +1 on Kerosene, It's great for cleaning sludge out of oil pans and moping the floor after engine rebuilds. Not to mention it is part of my Hurricane prep as I have several lanterns for use during power outages.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I've used WD40 as well. Put a rag under it - soak it pretty good and use a light bristle brush to get the WD40 in there good. It'll evaporate pretty much after that or will sling off the first waste board you put through there.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 10-25-2017 at 9:13 AM.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Wasnt sure if it would be okay to turn it on with all that grease on there. I cant run it for a while till I get my electrical finished so I'll probably go the method of removing the cutters.