Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas wanted for wood to use on machinist tool box

Thanks for the insight, gents!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I see that the side panels of the Gerstner tool box are joined, cross-grain, to a rail at the top. This joinery leaves apparent potential for issues due to the cross grain glue joints for these panels. Do you think they don't care about this because the width of the panel is only 10 1/2 inches?
    If you look closely it's a T&G joint with ample long-to-long grain glued area, that should be easily capable of handling the resulting stresses. Think of it as a brute-force solution to differential expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If you look closely it's a T&G joint with ample long-to-long grain glued area, that should be easily capable of handling the resulting stresses. Think of it as a brute-force solution to differential expansion.
    Yeah, I was thinking similar. The panel is about 11 inches wide. Most all of the non Gerstner tool boxes do not have this design element so they have end grain at the top of each panel.

Using more than one species of wood, particularly contrasting shades, on this small project would fairly scream "amateur/DIY-built". Drawer sides are an exception.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Using more than one species of wood, particularly contrasting shades, on this small project would fairly scream "amateur/DIY-built". Drawer sides are an exception.
    I do plan to build with just mahogany. I think the actual construction, finish, detail, etc is much more important than the choice of whether or not multiple species were used. I am an amateur though, so I'm sure the result will be well apparent. Lol.
    By the way, everything here is DIY, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    ... I am an amateur...everything here is DIY, isn't it?
    You don't want your work to scream it like a patchwork quilt. Better to make the exposed surfaces one species, matching the grain, when possible, and plugged screw holes from the same board.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You don't want your work to scream it like a patchwork quilt. Better to make the exposed surfaces one species, matching the grain, when possible, and plugged screw holes from the same board.
    It's a wood tool chest. The only place for screws is the hinges and locks. I don't plug those.
    Jim

Thanks a lot.

Did you know that Gerstner sells their hardware separately?: http://gerstnerusa.com/replacement-hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Did you know that Gerstner sells their hardware separately?: http://gerstnerusa.com/replacement-hardware
    No, I didn't. Thanks very much for the link. The prices seem pretty fair compared to other places and they offer everything.

Here are some of the pieces I'm sorting through to find the best grain and color match for the drawer fronts. Lots of variety in both grain and color plus some of the pieces have very nice chatoyance.
    20171031_194354.jpg

That is the part of the project that makes me nuts....I just keep second guessing my self!
    Rick

The darkest piece is a bit deceiving (I think / hope). I will plane it down a bit and think it will be more of the same color and tone as the other pieces.