Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw a monarch butterfly today

Saw a monarch butterfly today

May not be a big deal to you but it's the first one I've seen in at least 5 years. I have lots of green and antelope horn milkweed growing but there have been no cats on them either.

glad to have seen one.

How very cool. I saw them as a child living in TX and later CA; haven’t seen any since moving to VA

Good to hear! There are still a lot around here in Ohio, probably making it your way soon.

Blog Entries
    We have hundreds migrating south over the past few weeks. They head south every year in October.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I used to see them a lot but they disappeared from my area.

There have been many observation of them in Texas over the last week as they migrate to Mexico. You can see a map of them on the migration

Saw one last Friday while I was blowing leaves and thought, buddy you got a long way to go and looks like you got a late start. I don't think we have as many around now as when I was a kid.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

We had a lot of them in Ohio but I've been in Missouri for 20 years and don't remember seeing one.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I saw the one on Saturday. That was the first one I saw in a few years. There used to be a lot of them. I don't even see the white and yellow ones like when I was a kid. back then the fields would be full of them

I have several places on my property where I grow milkweed for the Monarchs. I also have planted quite a few other flowers for them. I have had some show up and last year laid eggs on the milkweed and had a chrysalis and watched a Monarch emerge.

Interesting, Monarchs have been in New Zealand and Australia since the 1870s along with some types of milkweed.

We've been restoring our meadow with native plants that support bees and butterflies and the transformation has been amazing. This summer we'd routinely have dozens of butterflies of 3-6 species any time you looked and 20-40+ native bee species that could be counted in any 20 minute observation period-- up from zilch when we bought the place five years ago. Monarchs are still scarce, we saw one obvious pair and a half dozen singletons over the summer. Hoping they will like the place well enough to reproduce. Lots of milkweeds here!

Build it and they will come is the message I guess.

I live in northwest iowa. Monarchs are here throughout the summer. In the first week of september they migrate through here. Always within a day or two of the same time every year. They also roost in the same trees every year and on the same branches of those trees. I have never been able to figure out how they know to roost in the same tree branches, when it is obviously different butterflies every year. My son did a school project one fall that involved tagging some of them. Apparently the ones we tagged were never found, we never heard back on that, but I know some are tagged here and found a long ways away. Populations have decreased here due to having less milkweed around.

The monarch has declined a lot in Vermont. I saw one up high flying about a week ago; probably migrating. My wife plants for the butterflies, but the milkweed doesn't do as well at our place.

I am glad to hear you have them.

A few years ago we planted some milkweed, now we have them every summer as well............Regards, Rod.