Thread: Goliath CNC router

Goliath CNC router

This is new to me. Anyone have knowledge of this?
    Just saw a story on TV about this new CNC router. TV host said a $2000 price tag.
    My first concern would be the wheels slipping on the wood and or sawdust.
    If it works as advertised, this could be a major change in home shop woodworking.
    What do you think?

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have studied the design a little bit. The machine is too light and will not be capable of generating adequate side forces to cut wood at an acceptable speed. Their own videos (the few that were not sped up) confirm my assessment. Neither speed nor cutting depth is good enough for most CNC applications. Of course, you can build a house with a fret saw if you spend enough time at it.

I saw a video over the weekend and actually posted a different question about it in the CNC forum which I'll repost here. The video shows it being used primarily in Europe and I can't believe Euro Standards - as focused on health and safety as they seem to be - allowing such a tool without dust collection. Interested in any insights folks intimately familiar with Euro Standards might have.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-24-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I saw the woodworking network post. I think "snail" would be a more appropriate name

As a semi-pro/hobbiest, speed would not be a big deal. I think it’s a great idea, assuming it works! Wonder if it needs multiple passes for 3/4”, or if it has a max depth capacity.
    Regardless, even if it just cuts 1/4”, it’s be perfect for cutting templates.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 10-24-2017 at 9:18 AM.

I wouldn't spend $2000 for a machine that looks like it could easily slip and ruin the workpiece. The success rate for complex projects is probably fairly low, so there would be a lot of wasted material.

Here is a different type of CNC router for only $500
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...foot-cnc-machi
    Steve

It needs multiple passes --- most CNC machines do, save for the thinnest materials.

It's an interesting design, and I'm curious about the technology used for the positional sensing --- that would make a nice addition to a more traditional hobby-level CNC --- the one machine which had it (AFAIK) was the LoboCNC, which as I understand it is no longer available due to a lack of parts availability at the bargain price the original design depended on.

In the same class, there's also the Origin machine. (https://shapertools.com/) The Origin seems like it is closer to actual production.

But both the Goliath and the Origin seem unfortunately wimpy to me. Remarkable electronics and software aside, the heart of the machine is a 1 horse router with a quarter inch bit. If I'm thinking about, say, making chair parts, that size of router and bit isn't going to speed production much at all. I'd probably use the small CNC to make templates, and do the manufacturing on the shaper. So I still have to have the shaper, with its size and danger.

The thing is, w/o large motors and lots of torque, one can only accelerate a machine so quickly, and there's only so much speed one can pick up on a 2, 4, or even 8 foot bed. You also don't want the cutting forces to overwhelm your ability to hold position.