Thread: Do i need more extraction?

Do i need more extraction?

I have this machine and in use it spits out a little at the rear and a fair bit at the front when in use. It happens as the blades first touch and as they leave the piece.
    thik.pngthicknesser.jpg
    Picture on the right shows for example 20 minutes use.

What would cause this? I'm thinking my extraction is not strong enough maybe? It is certainly taking away the great majority of material, just not this stuff.
    Or is this normal?

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see any form of dust extraction connected to this thickness planer?

I agree with Dave...not enough information present. That said, "in general"...the higher the actual CFM for dust extraction, the more material that will get caught and sent down the duct. There will always be some "splash" from machines with rotating cutting actions, but the greater the air flow, the better the collection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can't see from the picture how yours is connected to the dust collection. I have a plastic pickup hood for mine (different brand).

That said, I still like to carry and use it outside. That the collection is perfect.

JKJ

I've seen two Triton planers in use, and it has a plastic hood that attaches to the rear of the machine for dust extraction. The hood connects to a shop vacuum or other dust extraction unit. Other than small bits, everything is ejected from the rear.

If your Triton is spitting out dust and chips from the front, then the rear port must be blocked. Do you have a shop vacuum attached to it? If not, remove the plastic hood so the chips can exit at the rear.