Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Powermatic 66 advice

Used Powermatic 66 advice

Hi All,

I am thinking about setting up my own little home woodshop and I am looking into a decent saw. I came across a powermatic 66, 3hp with what looks to be a nice little set up. The saw has an extension table with a JessEm Rout-R-Lift, an incra positioner and looks like it has very little use.

Any thoughts on price? The guy is downsizing and moving to a condo so he is losing his woodshop space from his house. He wants me to make an offer. I am more familiar with Deltas, not so much with powermatics. Also will include a few other accessories.

I really appreciate any advice or input offered. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I very much like the PM66, though I have a Unisaw which works just fine for me. The saw pictured looks well cared for. A tablesaw of that ilk with 3hp and a nice fence is a great tool. I'm not especially enthusiastic about the router in the saw table setup (having had several) but maybe that's just me. I'd prefer a separate table. Typically (in my geographic area) a PM66 would price out a few hundred dollars more than a Unisaw, because the company is still making them, because the "fit and finish" is a bit nicer, and because the arbor is designed so the blade tilts left. That's not necessarily better, just that fewer machines have that option. Typical asking prices here for that setup might range between $800 and $2000.

I don't know this to be the case but since I see this is your first post ... if you are new to woodworking it might be prudent (and yes I will likely get chastised for saying this) to at least look at some of the benefits provided by alternative machines such as the Sawstop.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-24-2017 at 3:27 PM. Reason: grammar issue
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Looks like a nice setup. Having to make an offer can be tough as you don’t want to insult him while trying to get a deal. I’d offer $750 and hope to get it fo around $1000.

That’s me though, that setup could easily be listed on CL at $2000.

Could always try to bundle with other tools.

If everything is as pristine as it looks, I'd probably give him $2,000 for it, although that router extension looks very awkward to use (to me).

I'd probably offer around 1200. The lift and fence are worth 400 so it's 800 for the saw. Even if you pay 1500 your still getting a good deal due to the lift and fence.
    Don

I'd ask him if he thought $1,000 was a fair price. I bought one of my Unisaws with Biesmeyer fence and mobile base for ~$750.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would ask him what he thinks is a fair price. Tell him you are just setting up shop and just started pricing tools but don't have enough background to make an informed decision on how much to offer. Put it back on him, he has an idea what he thinks it is worth.

Thanks guys for the advice. I will keep you posted. I am not thrilled about the router table extension. As said by another member, the router seems like it would be awkward to use, but can use the equipment on another router table

I finally have space for some more/better equipment and I am tired of having to drive to my friends place to use his.

Why should the router table be awkward to use?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I have a similar setup on my Unisaw although my lift sits closer to the middle of the table. There was always a lot of reaching & bending using it. It was just awkward to use. I added a Benchdog setup to the left side of the saw and it is much more comfortable. I don’t have the room for a standalone router table.

I would offer $1500 - 2000 for the 66.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My router table is a re-purposed, cast iron, table saw top that is attached to one of my Unisaws. Been using it for decades and find it very convenient and quick to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have a similar setup on my Unisaw although my lift sits closer to the middle of the table. There was always a lot of reaching & bending using it. It was just awkward to use. I added a Benchdog setup to the left side of the saw and it is much more comfortable. I don’t have the room for a standalone router table.

I would offer $1500 - 2000 for the 66.
    Exactly my thought. I feel like this would be awkward for me but to each their own. Some people might like it and maybe I would but my thought after thinking about it is that the reaching would make it awkward.

The router setup isn't that far away. It's probably a foot or so. Look at the PM manual and it should give the specs.

Consider adding an outfeed table across whole length of the saw. You can use this as an assembly table. I made one and built in storage and plugs around the table.
    Don

Here is a view across my outfeed table; it's just a solid core door topped with tempered Masonite.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    The picture looks like the router table is quite far from the edge. And table saw heights are much lower than I like for a router table. My router is mounted in the workbench with my miter saw, about 6" higher than my tablesaw.
    Steve