Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Powermatic 66 advice

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    The picture looks like the router table is quite far from the edge. And table saw heights are much lower than I like for a router table...
    Notice that my table saw is raised to allow a sawdust drawer beneath. The router is easy to reach for changing bits and adjusting height. The router table, attached to the table saw, is convenient and allows the combined use of the Unifence and sliding table.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

That saw looks well cared for and doesn't look it's lived too hard of a life.

Depending on how you value the router table, I'd say that setup is worth $1200-1400 in my area. I bought a similar era 66 this past summer for $900, but drove quite a bit to get it. It was a tad rougher condition than the one you're looking at and didn't have a router table.

When someone selling something refuses to price it and says "make me an offer", I respond one of two ways. I usually first say "surely you have some ballpark idea of what you'd like to get for it...." or if that doesn't provide a starting point then I low ball, which will either get you a number from them that's closer to what they want or it will piss them off...

Good luck. The 66 is a great saw; I love mine.

Low ballers do not even get a reply from me.

When I sell a machine, I usually start at a price that is half of the cost I paid for it new. I sold my PM 66 a few months ago for $1k. It was in perfect shape. I like knowing that whoever is buying my machines are knowing they got a really good deal. Seems goofy to me that a seller won't set a price???

Andy,

Yeah, but are you listing an asking price to start or just saying "make me an offer"? Why would anyone looking to buy start high with an offer if they didn't have a point of reference from the seller? My point is, just name your price to start out and it saves a lot of wasted time and anxiety.

I always list an asking price.

Andy, So your case is different than what we have here. Lowballing when being asked to give a price is fine in my book.

By the way, I like the idea of the table saw dust drawer. I need to add that to my Uni.

The drawer was re-purposed from a yacht remodel. A framework of 2 x 4 on edge worked out just right.

I'd offer him a thou for it and go from there. In my experience when a guy says "make me an offer" he either doesn't know what it's worth or he's ashamed to say what he really wants for it. You could take the router lift out and build yourself a stand alone router table.