View Poll Results: How do you pronounce "fascia"?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • FAH-sya

4 7.69%
  • FAH-see-ya

5 9.62%
  • FAY-sya

40 76.92%
  • FAY-see-ya

3 5.77%
  • What the heck is a fascia?

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fahscia, fayscia, potayto, potahto

Interesting, when I'm talking carpentry I say it with the long a--fay, but when talking anatomy, a short a --fa. It would be hard to say derivative words like fascitis with the long a. Never realized that I pronounce the word differently depending on context.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    That is a term I learned watching This Old House, and Norm and Tom always say FAY-shuh. If it works for them that's good enough for me .
    Remember they both say "drawerer."

Blog Entries
    Well I am glad I asked. This has been interesting. I was raised US but my father spent a lot of time in Great Britain and Switzerland, although he was born in Mississippi and has a long southern drawl, but with proper English and a twinge of Swiss accent that my grandfather passed on. My mom's father was Scottish, and she speaks very proper. Living out of the US much of my life, I have picked up a lot of different language influences. I call "z" "zed." It just makes more sense to me- no confusion with "c." I say "good night" as a greeting, not a farewell. I mix up spelling "tire" and "tyre" mainly depending on who I am writing. I still sound like a southerner, but am told I'm losing that. My wife was raised US but her stepmom, who raised her from young, is British. She has an amazingly beautiful mix of US and British in her voice. (Hey- I'm in love, okay?).

So- I came to a point where the whole "fascia" pronunciation was bugging me. Seems most of you say "Fay-sha." I'm going to say this is one that will never be fully resolved, so I will just start mixing it up. ;-)

P.S. I always hated when Norm Abrams pronounced "drawer."

P.P.S. I also hate that whenever someone in a movie is supposed to be stupid, he talks with a southern accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

It is a great show, but it is not where I would go to learn how to pronounce things. The one that always aggravates me is “masonary.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    It is a great show, but it is not where I would go to learn how to pronounce things. The one that always aggravates me is “masonary.”
    Masonary- one who kills bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    He probably feels similar about the "s" appended to the end of his last name. LOL

That said, I've always found language differences interesting and have tried really hard to adapt, from a regional perspective, to whom I'm communicating with...a lot of that because of long-time participation in many online forums that draw internationally. It's been particularly interesting in the equestrian space with Aussies and Brits and others having radically different terms for certain things...like a trailer becomes a "float".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-03-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    He probably feels similar about the "s" appended to the end of his last name. LOL

That said, I've always found language differences interesting and have tried really hard to adapt, from a regional perspective, to whom I'm communicating with...a lot of that because of long-time participation in many online forums that draw internationally. It's been particularly interesting in the equestrian space with Aussies and Brits and others having radically different terms for certain things...like a trailer becomes a "float".
    Maybe that explains why we have “floats” in parades. I could never figure where that comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Maybe that explains why we have “floats” in parades. I could never figure where that comes from.
    Because, with the real floats, they just seem to float on by (all the moving parts, wheels, axles, motors, etc are hidden under the scenery).