Thread: HELP Please, Joe Woodworker EVS Excel 5 240v pump

HELP Please, Joe Woodworker EVS Excel 5 240v pump

I just received the Excel EVS 5 pump and I chose the 240V option. It arrived and it is 240 v alright, but wired with an Australian plug. I contacted Joe and his response was that I could remove the plug and rewire with a US 240v plug. The wiring for the Australian is color coded totally different and when I reasearched it, it still made no sense as to which are the hot and which is ground. Has anyone out there bought this machine from Joe with the 240v option? Thank you

Is one of the wires green or green/yellow striped? That would be ground, and the order of the other 2 connections doesn't matter.

Out of curiosity, why did you get the 240V version if you're in the US?

The Austrailian electrical color codes for single phase are the same as the European codes:

Line: Brown

Neutral: Blue

Ground: Green and Yellow

Harbor freight often has voms for free or very cheap. Test from the machine case metal, maybe a plated screw head, metal not paint. test from that point to each cord end. the only one that connects is the ground wire. The other two are hot. verify the others do not connect to the case for safety.
    I bought a used welder and someone had switched the ground and hot lead so the case was at 120 volts at all times. It took me a while to figure out why it seemed under powered. Good thing I did since i plugged it into my dryer plug next to the laundry sink.
    Bill D.

It came with an Australian plug? Seriously? I could change the plug, certainly, but I would send it back. That response shows me he doesn't care.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It came with an Australian plug? Seriously? I could change the plug, certainly, but I would send it back. That response shows me he doesn't care.
    Sometimes equipment and tools come with no plug - you wire the plug you need to fit the outlet. This assumes the current requirements of the device don't exceed the rating of the receptacle but on a vacuum pump that should be a non-issue.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Hmm...

It looks like a fractional-HP motor (which, presumably, no US-based user would see the need to buy wired for 240), and the 240v option does say "240v AC - For Australia"....

To be clear, Jerry ordered the Excel 5 kit (not the EVS kit).

Indeed I do care... very much. What Jerry failed to indicate is that I sent him $60 worth of prepaid return labels and was willing to do a full refund including the original shipping cost and take the loss on a pump with a cut cord. To respect his privacy, I won't give details on the rest of this negative event with him but I can say that it is always beneficial to read and ask questions before you buy. A customer should understand (by reading my site, or emailing me any questions) a certain small amount of information to get a system that works well for their application and location. It can be a bit confusing but I try to help. It stinks when there is an issue that could have been resolved by spending a bit more time reading the site so as to make an informed purchase. Additionally, the Q&A tab on the Excel 5 product page says...

What kind of plug end is on the 240v version of the kit?
    The plug on the 240v power cord is designed for Australia power outlets using the AS3112 standard.

Will the 240v work in the USA?
    Yes, but the plug end on the power cord will have to be cut off and replaced with a plug end designed for your 240v receptacle. The system is non-returnable if the plug end is cut off.

obviously i'm not involved in this particular situation, but i will say that i've dealt with joe a number of times over the past years, and always found him to be fair, helpful, honest and easy to work with. if you haven't dealt with joe and his company, when you do, you can expect a good experience.