Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving up on trying to buy a used Domino

Giving up on trying to buy a used Domino

<p>
    Well, I've come to the conclusion that people are crazy. I've been bidding on used Dominos on eBay for a few years. It seems people are willing to bid up used dominos to approximately 5-10 percent less than brand new. Doesn't make much sense to buy something used to save 100 bucks, so.. time to pull the trigger and just buy a new one. Oh well,lol</p>
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-25-2017 at 7:49 PM.

Ya Rick what are you wanting for buy one and become part of the collective.Resistance is futile.
    I bought one years ago I don't use it everyday but glad to have it great tool very fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

After holding out for a long time, I bought one a couple months ago for my current project. Despite my initial skepticism, it really is a great tool and has exceeded my expectations. I've been impressed at how balanced and solid it is, and how easy it is to control when plunging the cut.

I occasionally see them listed somewhat locally for relatively minor discount. If you like taking half a day off work and making a five hour round trip drive and buying a lightly worn and no longer fully warranted machine you can probably save $150 - $200 (not including fuel and wear & tear).
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

It's a popular item, and for some folks, like us in CT., just the savings in sales tax would be attractive.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Buy new, but once and do not regret. Buy the big one and use only one for all projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howe View Post
    Buy new, but once and do not regret. Buy the big one and use only one for all projects.
    I bit the bullet this year on the big one. That's after lusting after one for 3 years and countless projects I could have used it for and saved a BUNCH of time on.

I also tried for a good while to buy one used and found when they did appear that they were routinely within spitting distance of a brand new one on which I could have a warranty, etc. Just pony up the extra c-note - it is a surprisingly good tool once you get used to it.

Holds it value well and the marketing from numerous YouTubers and forums has really built it up. Thats what happens. Just break down and buy a new one or try and get in on the Festool Recon sales that they are doing right now at their recon website (LINK). Maybe another Domino will pop up there.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

They where on the recon website on Oct 2 for $742.50 for the DF500 and the 700 series was on there 2 times Oct 5th & Oct 18 and it was $1072.50

I am not trying to be smart but did you try "want to buy" in some of the wood forum's?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

So,I've decided to buy new, so the next question.. the 500 or the 700? I've always been inclined to go big or go home,but when I bought my festool track saw I bought the 75. It works great but I find it a little large and clunky so I only use it when it's a must. By the same token I hate not being able to do something because the tool is undersized. I also hate not being able to do something because the tool is oversized. Quite a conundrum.
    Last edited by Rick Peek; 10-25-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Hi Rick

Here is my scenario. Other's will offer their thoughts. You need to find one that meets your needs.

I purchased the 500 about a year ago as I had a kitchen of doors to build. The doors were Shaker style, that is, frame-and-panel, about 25 in all. My preferred joint is a mortice-and-tenon, which I cut with a mix of hand and power tools. As a weekend warrior, albeit serious one, I just did not see how I could get this done in a reasonable time period. Using dominos made sense.

I chose the 500 since it sizes dominos up to 10mm, and it is unlikely that I would use this method for more than quick carcase frames or cabinet doors. Shortly after completing the kitchen I was back to building furniture, and the table and table legs that followed were built with traditional M&T joinery, because that is what I prefer. If you see tables in your future, in particular large leg joints, then you are probably better off with the 700. I reasoned that, if I did need to do the occasional one, I could simply double up large dominos. In the mean time, the medium-sized pieces I concentrate on are catered for by the 500.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I prefer the 700. It does everything the 500 can do if you get the small bit adapter from Seneca. The abilities to go larger, deeper, and with more offset from the fence are useful to me.

I've had the 500 for a number of years and never had a situation where I needed bigger.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.