Thread: Veritas Miniature Plow Plane

Veritas Miniature Plow Plane

They are incredibly cute --- correct me if I'm wrong, the ones which have a listed scale are 1/3rd --- any ideas if the others are too far off from that?

They really make me want to buy the entire set and make a scale model tool chest/cabinet to hold them all....

I still think a few of them would be really useful for some of my projects, esp. the router plane and shoulder plane

John, I have the mini rabbet plane and it works perfectly. I do use it from time to time. I have no experience with the mini plow. Just advising that it is not only an amusement. It is a working tool. Out of curiosity, what is the use case you envision?

Others may have different opinions, but I bought the miniature chisels when they first came out and found them to be rather useless. They are just too difficult to hold - I wish the shaft was twice as long

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Others may have different opinions, but I bought the miniature chisels when they first came out and found them to be rather useless. They are just too difficult to hold - I wish the shaft was twice as long
    Yeah. I thought as much. Novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    John, I have the mini rabbet plane and it works perfectly. I do use it from time to time. I have no experience with the mini plow. Just advising that it is not only an amusement. It is a working tool. Out of curiosity, what is the use case you envision?
    Some of the tools are fully functional like the shoulder plane. I buy them as collection mostly. In due time.... A proper glass cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    They are incredibly cute --- correct me if I'm wrong, the ones which have a listed scale are 1/3rd --- any ideas if the others are too far off from that?

They really make me want to buy the entire set and make a scale model tool chest/cabinet to hold them all....

I still think a few of them would be really useful for some of my projects, esp. the router plane and shoulder plane
    The router plane is so so.... But it does work. The block plane also works. The shoulder plane is the most useful.

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Some of the tools are fully functional like the shoulder plane. I buy them as collection mostly. In due time.... A proper glass cabinet?
    Clearly a miniature bench & tool chest are called for, then you can display the tools in use (and waste endless hours playing with, erh, adjusting the display. )

Hi -

While all the miniatures work - clearly not all are equally useful.

Limiting ourselves to 1/3 scale (so all tools stay in proportion to each other) was a decision we made to challenge our designers, engineers, and manufacturing folks - and to learn new process. Keeping the prices where they are is a huge part of the challenge.

Geez - a functioning plow plane with wooden handle for less than $45??

They are what they are....the kittens of hand tools.

Cheers -

Rob

I'm having lots of fun envisioning as set of these along with a 1/3 scale workbench, and seeing my grandson standing in front of it with me at his side!

Wow!

It seems to me a display of technical prowess.