Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about low angle jack planes

Could the Stanley low angle jack be modified to take blade holding screws?
    Could one drill and tap holes in the side of the body on either side of the blade, and use set screws to position the blade?

I have the Lie Nielsen #62, great plane and the blade is stable, so this is just a "what if" question to those of you more mechanically gifted than I am.

Hi Mark, you could, but why bother? I wouldn't consider doing that, and you certainly don't need the set screws, though they do add convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Could one drill and tap holes in the side of the body on either side of the blade, and use set screws to position the blade?

I have the Lie Nielsen #62, great plane and the blade is stable, so this is just a "what if" question to those of you more mechanically gifted than I am.
    Yes, almost certainly. I don't think that the sidewalls of that plane present any constraints that would present you from doing so.

With that said I don't think that those screws add all that much to usability in a bench plane (and I say this as somebody who owns most of the planes that LV makes). When you're starting out it's nice to not have to worry about the blade "walking" from side to side as you try to adjust it, but that's easy to deal with after a little practice.

If I were going to modify a Stanley plane to have those screws it would be something like a 92, where the blade positioning is critical and the screws save you from having to align the iron to the sides every time you sharpen.

You are right, Patrick. Thank you for the correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post

Mark, I have done this with a few planes in the past. Here is one ..

The set screws were made from brass machine screws. Cut of the heads and grind a slot.

BU infill smoother.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Patrick - the 92, yes, I could see this plane could use set screws. Some reported the Stanley low angle jack's cap iron didn't hold the blade satisfactorily, so maybe set screw would be useful? Or if you're mechanically set up, maybe make a new cap iron?

Derek, very nice plane.

Next time you remove the blade assembly from a Stanley Block Plane, note the raised tabs that are cast into both inner side walls to centre the blades position within the mouth opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mark, I have done this with a few planes in the past. Here is one ..
    Nice plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The set screws were made from brass machine screws. Cut of the heads and grind a slot.
    Wow, that is a really time-consuming way to acquire a commodity fastener :-).

Blog Entries
    In my case there are likely a few laying around.

But if it was me in the early hours of the morning working on something like this and there wasn't one in my piles of fasteners, then making my own would likely be my choice over waiting for one in the mail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Nice plane!

We don't have the luxury of McMaster Carr in Oz and definitely not in Perth, I wish they would open a branch down here, I will be their first customer.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

But if it was me in the early hours of the morning working on something like this and there wasn't one in my piles of fasteners, then making my own would likely be my choice over waiting for one in the mail

Right, Jim. When I was a youngster, my favourite show was about the inventions, especially those of farmers, who built what they had to from salvage lying around. I just loved their creativity. Now this learning process was all the more curious when you realise that the show was on radio, since we did not have TV!

Regards from Perth

Derek

I also wrestled with the LN vs LV low angle jack. I decided for the LV for one very good reason. The LAJ, the low angle jointer and the bevel up smoother all use the same 2.25 blade. I have all three and multiple blades at different angles and toothed blade. Because they all interchange I have few blades but great flexibility. The LV is a bit heavier and wider I believe. If I were only getting a low angle jack, The LN is just more beautiful. Both function quite well. Shooting with an older Stanley 7 is a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Martin View Post
    I also wrestled with the LN vs LV low angle jack. I decided for the LV for one very good reason. The LAJ, the low angle jointer and the bevel up smoother all use the same 2.25 blade.
    The shooter also takes that iron :-).

Hey Chris,

Wait for Cyber Monday. I'm pretty sure that Lee Valley will have a few factory second LA jacks at the crack of midnight.
    My LA jack was my first good plane, and holds a dear place in my heart.

It'll probably run you a bit under $200, but will be much nicer than the Sweetheart (much beefier, more precise).
    IMHO, it's nicer than the Lie Nielson version too.

Or order now and take advantage of free shipping (until Nov 4)