Thread: G.H. Bishop Greyhound Hand Saw, A Hidden Gem

G.H. Bishop Greyhound Hand Saw, A Hidden Gem

I was fortunate enough to see this saw posted by a fellow creeker on here a few months back https://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthr...o-H-Bishop-saw He said he really wasn't a "saw collector" but couldn't pass this one up, I couldn't have either. I thought, what the heck, maybe I should contact him and see if he would be interested in selling it. After a private message on here and sharing of our contact information, it was pleasant to talk with him on the phone. We agreed on a price and I became the new owner.

This is not the first one of these I've purchased. In fact, this one will be replacing another 12ppi cross cut that is not in as good of condition as this one.

A link to an old Iron Age picture http://hus-saws1.wkfinetools.com/Bis...age-V.83-3.asp courtesy of Wiktor's site.

With it's Cuban mahogany handle, lambs tongue, wheat carving, nickel plated fasteners, highly polished blade & a very good taper grind, this saw was not only built for performance but was made to impress. This saw was probably meant to compete with the rosewood handled Atkins 400, that came out a little earlier, which by the way was the most expensive saw ever produced at that time coming in at $4.00 for a 26" version. The Bishop Greyhound was considerably less expensive at $3.00 but was still an expensive saw in 1908. Disston lagged behind, not producing the rosewood handled D15 & D115 until around 1914, IIRC.

The extra hardware store etch is a nice addition and the ribbon back also adds a nice touch. I mentioned is had a good taper grind, with the cutting edge measuing .040" and the back of the point coming in at .020". I can always tell the quality of the steel by how a saw files and I can tell you this is good stuff. This saw takes little set to run free in the cut and with it's 12ppi undercut cross cut configuration produces a good finish in dry seasoned lumber.

Hope some of you can apprecitate the pictures of U.S.A. made quality from a by-gone era!

Take care
    Daryl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Drop dead sexy. I am green with saw envy lol
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Very very nice! That saw plate looks better than new. Did it come to you that way or what's your secret for getting that nice finish?

GHB's saws have style!

I have several, but none as purty as yours.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Hope some of you can apprecitate the pictures of U.S.A. made quality from a by-gone era!
    Pretty pictures are always appreciated.

That is one beauty of a saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Daryl,

I'm curious, has the top horn been damaged, or is that rounding factory? I have had several pristine Bishop saws. Not sure what they did to their steel, but they often show up in that sort of Buick shined condition. I do like their phoenix logo and etch.

Oh my! Does it also cut wood?

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures! Most of the time, these other saw makers aren't given the credit they deserve with Disston looming over them. Don't get me wrong, Disston made some fine saws (I have just a few No.12's, Acme 120's, No.16's, early D8's etc.) but they were not the only good saw maker on the scene. The problem is there's just not a lot of information out there on George H. Bishop saws because of the lack of old catalogs. At least I haven't seen any but that doesn't mean they're not out there in someone's collection. It seems like most of the information comes from advertisements in the old trade magazines.

Pat - It came to me in pretty good shape but didn't look quite like that when I got it. You can pick the link in my initial post, that I provided, to see what it looked like when it was first presented on here. I have my own way of cleaning these and it doesn't involve any abrasives or machines. I can't make a saw look like new (I don't want to) but I can bring it back to a condition that's as good as what's hidden underneath. I wish I could go in to detail but it's kind of something I'm keeping under my hat for now, sorry about that.

Pete - I've provided some pictures of another 8 point Bishop Greyhound below. You are correct, good eye, that the bottom portion of the top horn has been rounded a bit. That's the way I received it and decided to let sleeping dogs lie on that one. However, the top horn on these is shaped differently than any other saws I've seen. I guess the only way to describe it is it's tear dropped shape when you look down from the top on it. The hang of the handle is almost reminiscent of the old English saws with the grip almost being perpendicular to the cutting edge, which I have a tendency to like. I know the saw is "shiny" but it actually looked like that under the handle. Like I said to Pat, I can't make them look any better than what's hidden underneath the crude and oxidation. I've had some Disston No.12's that were pretty darn shiny under the handle and I'm sure you have too. The early D15's & D115's, like the Diamond Anniversary, where polished like a mirror. I remember the one's that Carl Bilderback had purchased , may he rest in peace, that were just gorgeous.

Mike - I don't know if it will cut the wood but it will cut the cheese...... All kidding aside, it does cut wood very nicely and tracks like a dream. Mainly because of the small amount of set I was talking about and the fact that the blade is darn stiff. It has the heft of the Disston Acme 120's.

dscn5275.jpg dscn5271.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg
    This little panel saw came through the shop, one day..
    IMAG0215.jpg
    Was marked as a Bishop. I'll look around and see IF I can find out a bit more....

Nice saw Daryl, If I had that as my truck saw it would be nicer than my truck. Great work
    Aj

Daryl, what a surprise to see the saw that I had sent to you. It looks great and I can see that you treasure it. It is good that it is now in your hands. Yours, Allan.
    C&C WELCOME

Allan,

The saw cleaned up wonderfully and has been sharpened also. It's a beautiful saw and cuts like a dream.

Thanks once again for making it available to me. Now I just have to sell the other 26" Greyhound 12ppi duplicate that this one replaces!

Take care,
    Daryl