Thread: Advice on laser work

Advice on laser work

Need some advice on getting some laser work done. I'm making a Christmas present out of curly maple and I want to have it laser engraved. Should I have it lasered before or after I put the finish on it. I plan on using wipe on poly for a finish, probably 4 to 6 coats.

Totally ignorant on this subject and appreciate any advice.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I have done it both ways, and find finishing it first better. If you engrave and then finish, you will have to sand off the discoloration first, and the finish will go into the lettering/graphics and it won’t be as sharp. If the finish is nice and dry, the engraving will be nice and clear, with the unfinished wood providing contrast, and there won’t be any discoloration from the heat of engraving.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I'm with Joe, finish first!

Thanks fellas
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation