Thread: Recommendations for single phase motors?

Recommendations for single phase motors?

I recently bought a 16 inch planer, which has a 5 hp 3 phase motor, 184T frame size.

I am hopefully going to buy a 12 inch jointer next week, from a seller in Canada, and that machine has a 550 volt motor.

I have a phase converter, but am setting up these tools in my basement, and have decided it may be better to not worry about using the phase converter, and replace both motors instead (I will need to replace the jointer motor anyways because of the voltage). I may sell the converter to help pay for the single phase motors.

I am looking to put a 5 hp motor in the planer and a 3 hp motor in the jointer.

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for single phase motors. I know Baldor and Lesson motors are good.

Are Grizzly or other import motors reliable? If they are not as reliable, is there a specific mechanic reason?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Andrew

Hi, 2 to 3 HP is more than you'll need for that planer.

Baldor and Leeson are good motors................Regards, Rod.

industrial surplus is my go to.

marathon, baldor, dayton, leeson are all good.

check craigslist first, you may be surprised. I picked up a 2 hp marathon, nearly brand new for 100 bucks.

I think you'll find the better quality motors like Baldor to draw fewer amps/HP than the Asian ones. Substantially fewer. If that's important, buy accordingly.

I've always figured you need about 1 HP for every 5" of jointer/planer width. That would put you at around 3 HP on both machines, but it takes more power to run a spiral head so your approach of 5 HP on the planer would cover that option, too.

John

Make sure that jointer is belt drive. older jointers can be direct drive making it impossible to replace the motor without some major machine shop time. Also applies to older,bigger bandsaws
    Bill D.

Asian motors tend to be lighter wiring and the starter switch often fails sooner. They may also omit the dip and bake of the stator so it vibrates itself to an early death.
    Bill D

According to my Motor guy, Baldor makes the best common sourced motors. Techtop Chinese motors are decent. I avoid single phase but have also been told by a motor shop that the red farm duty Leeson are the better price choice for their single phase motors. US made motors tend to be regulated to have higher efficiency than most Asian sourced although most US and Euro motor companies now have some Chinese motors in their smaller sizes. A vfd for the planer will be cheaper than a new motor. Dave

II went with Baldor when I converted my commercial metal tube cutting saw and south bend lathe and have been very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    marathon, baldor, dayton, leeson are all good.
    This......

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Russell View Post
    I recently bought a 16 inch planer, which has a 5 hp 3 phase motor, 184T frame size.

I am hopefully going to buy a 12 inch jointer next week, from a seller in Canada, and that machine has a 550 volt motor.

I have a phase converter, but am setting up these tools in my basement, and have decided it may be better to not worry about using the phase converter, and replace both motors instead (I will need to replace the jointer motor anyways because of the voltage). I may sell the converter to help pay for the single phase motors.

I am looking to put a 5 hp motor in the planer and a 3 hp motor in the jointer.

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for single phase motors. I know Baldor and Lesson motors are good.

Are Grizzly or other import motors reliable? If they are not as reliable, is there a specific mechanic reason?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Andrew
    I have a 20 inch Grizzly planer with a 3hp motor, for most things it is fine but some times it comes up a little short. with 3HP you won't be hogging off 1/8 inch a pass.

When I plane something close to 20 inches I go 1/32 at a time, anything under maybe 10 inches it takes off 1/16 no problem, even hard wood, oak, ash, maple etc.

The only Grizzly product I've ever purchased, or own, is one of their 3HP motors. It's a nice quiet running motor. I have double sheaves on it to power a 16" jointer, and it has zero issues. Mine is 3450rpm, and 1:1 on the pulley ratio, but if you're concerned about apparent power at the cutter head, drop down to 1725 for the torque and go 2:1 minimum on your pulley ratio. 4000rpm would probably be better.
    Baldor is probably the best, but are you going to get twice the performance out of it, for twice the money?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Hi, cutterhead torque will be the same whether you use a 1725 RPM motor and a 2:1 drive ratio or a 3450 RPM motor and a 1:1 drive ratio...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Russell View Post
    If you've already got a phase converter, I'd stick with a 3ph motor for the jointer replacement one. Many more options and usually lower prices than single phase.

In addition to the above-listed manufacturers, I'd recommend either Weg or Elektrim.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    A vfd for the planer will be cheaper than a new motor.
    That was my initial thought as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, cutterhead torque will be the same whether you use a 1725 RPM motor and a 2:1 drive ratio or a 3450 RPM motor and a 1:1 drive ratio...........Regards, Rod.
    Rod is correct (assuming the two motors are the same HP). There's no free lunch.

Mike

[Just an additional note. HP is the measure of the ability to do work. Torque is the measure of force. If you did increase the torque at the cutterhead by slowing down the RPMs, you would not change the HP, and therefore you could not remove wood faster. You need HP to remove wood faster, not torque.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-29-2017 at 3:45 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.