Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SYP binding in table saw, violent crack while ripping

Joey,

Where are you located in North GA?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pyron View Post
    I'm going to avoid the "arguments" about what is better: kiln or air drying...there is too much "proof" from both sides for my tastes...I can say that I have used very little "air dried" woods in my life so I can't honestly say what is better.

I think what is more important is seasoning...e.g. letting the wood sit around for years and years then using it...I've got a few boards of high grade flamed red maple in the garage that are almost 30 years old since I got them (the wet dream is to use them for guitars)

what I can say with a very high degree of confidence is that woods these days are cut out of logs with maximum yield in mind and that pretty much eliminates any sense of woods with little to no internal stress. I've been dealing with woods for the last 31 years of my life every working day (in the field trim carpenter) and it is very rare to make any sort of rip out of a "straight" board and find the result is also "straight"...most times any warping/twisting is workable...other times it is like you describe above.

in a nutshell, it is something one should expect when milling up wood for a project and need plan accordingly when rough dimensioning the materials. in the case of the sapele I describe, I made my initial rips 1/2" wider than needed to allow for straightlining and final dimensions. and yeah, it's something I have learned the "hard way" over the years.
    Yah I'm just going to have to change my perspective, and method of working on these boards, from now on. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    This is an extreme case of why it is better to rip to rough dimensions before straightening with jointer etc. I have had many similar experiences with radiata pine which is our common framing timber. It is fine if left in its original mill dimensions but take your chances otherwise. As other guys have said, purchase from a yard the cares about repeat business and build a relationship with them. A carton of coldies is a great way to get good deals. Cheers
    What are coldies?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    Joey,

Where are you located in North GA?
    Lawrenceville/Buford area. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Stephenson View Post
    What are coldies?
    I could be wrong but I think he means cold beer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Stephenson View Post
    Yah I'm just going to have to change my perspective, and method of working on these boards, from now on. Thanks for the input.

What are coldies?

Lawrenceville/Buford area. Why?
    Because I have a sawmill and a kiln and saw and kiln dry a lot of furniture grade pine that is much better quality that what you can get at the lumberyards and it is properly dried to 8% moisture content. I am about two and a half hours south of you just outside of Perry off Interstate 75. If you want to make a trip down for some wood, you can call me (phone # on the website hamsleyhardwood.com).

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    Because I have a sawmill and a kiln and saw and kiln dry a lot of furniture grade pine that is much better quality that what you can get at the lumberyards and it is properly dried to 8% moisture content. I am about two and a half hours south of you just outside of Perry off Interstate 75. If you want to make a trip down for some wood, you can call me (phone # on the website hamsleyhardwood.com).
    Thanks for the offer! I'll keep you in mind, for sure.

Most likely the board bowed and this is why it became wedged.

Do partial cuts like you did or let the wood dry out for 6 month or get better wood.

I'd say its worth the drive to the sawmill.