Thread: Makita track saw

Makita track saw

Getting ready to purchase a Makita track saw with 55" rails. When I will need longer rails how well does another 55" rail with the connectors work compared to the 118" one piece rail? The longer rail is approximately $75 more than an additional short rail and connectors, is it worth it? Are there other workarounds when I need to make a longer cut? Primary use will be breaking down sheet goods. Are clamps recommended with a longer cut?

Suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Lloyd McKinlay; 10-26-2017 at 10:18 PM.

I had the Makita Track Saw and used two 55" rails with Festool connectors, it worked fine. For me it would have been hard to store the 118" rail.
    I have used the Track without clamps and did not have slippage, it would be recommended to use the clamps. You never know on longer cuts if you have to pause movement to move with the Saw position and accidentally apply lateral pressure....could slightly move rail.

Like Ed, I use two of the 55” rails joined with Festool connectors. I also have a pair of Dewalt clamps to hold the rails to the material which work really well.

I use the 118 with my Makita it is really nice and worth th minor hassle of storage. I built three "C" shaped brackets and it hangs horizontally on my garage ceiling.
    Paul

I used two shorter ones with my track saw initially (Festool) but ultimately bought the long track. I store it in my shop in the same place I store two 11' long clamps I got from a woodworker friend who retired and moved to Florida. I don't use the long track very often, but it did come in handy when I was installing some wide pine flooring and needed to rip for width while inside the house. (And to be fair, I also acquired it before I had my sliding table saw)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to have the Makita (until I got my slider) and I liked it very much. I had the 118" track and stored in on my lumber rack. I always used clamps - too easy to do to justify not doing it. The Dewalt track clamps work perfectly and are of the quick-clamp variety.

I thought the 118" track was way too expensive for what it is. I think the oversize shipping has something to do with it. It's really not that hard to make these tracks in any size you want, so that's what I did. I used 1/2" MDF for the track body, and whatever scrap hardwood was around for the rail the saw rides on. I made one 110", one 72" for cutting 5x5 sheets, and I have the stock Makita 48" that came with the saw. To give the homemade tracks some grip, I sprayed the backs with a can of Plasti dip. Seems to do the job. No less accurate than the manufacturer's aluminum ones although I lose a little cut capacity because the 1/2" MDF is thicker than the aluminum track.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 10-27-2017 at 6:51 PM.

I don't think the Makita was out when I got my DeWalt but I bought a package with 59 and 102 inch rails. The latter is a little short but if you place it with 4-5 inches of the extra length on the starting side of the cut it works well. In the shop, the long rail isn't hard to store. I have DeWalt's connector but haven't used it. I also bought (later) the 42 inch track. So I could use the two shorter rails instead of the long one if I want to. I agree that they would be easier to transport. Last time I looked, the DeWalt with the 59 and 102 inch track was a little less than the Makita with a long and short track. But the price is close and each saw has advantages.