Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new compressor

Need new compressor

My 5 year old Rigid 175psi 2 tank portable compressor died yesterday and I need to replace it. Mostly use it for framing and finish nailers and inflating tires. I would love something quieter.

Any suggestions?

My choice was the Makita MAC 700 as seen here # 2 http://www.budgetaircompressors.com/...r-compressors/

I really like it. Don't mind needing to add oil (very seldom). It is "quiet" but a bit heavy though still very portable. I don't ever run more than one tool at a time so I can't speak to that. I do use it for the tasks you indicated, in that regard, it is all that I have wanted it to be.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

5 years isn't all that great as far as a lifespan goes.
    Makita makes a great quiet compressor - the above mentioned 700 may be a bit on the small side if you're replacing a twin "hot dog". They also make a 2400 model that's more in line with the Ridgid.

Neither of them are rated for a 100% duty cycle though.

The California Air model - in the above link - has a better duty rating, but, I've read some rather bad reviews of the CA line recently. I had thought of getting one until I read up on CA.

My compressor is an Ingersoll Rand 2.5HP twin "hot dog". It has a 100% duty cycle - - but - - it isn't what anyone would call quiet.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks guys

Sam - I looked at the 2 makitas but they are pretty loud, 80 and 87 db

Rich- I'm leaning towards the CA as it is only 60db. If I end up needing to run 2 guns for a job I'll get a bigger one for the road. The Amazon reviews are pretty good, do you remember where you read the bad ones?

I got this CA model back in March (I think). http://www.californiaairtools.com/ul...rs/cat-10020c/

Got it from Amazon and when it arrived one of the screws holding the plastic motor covers on had fallen into one of the motors. They sent me a new one as I wasnt about to start disassembling a brand new compressor.

Worked great for a few months then a host came lose and it started having trouble. Fixed the hose and it's worked great since. Super quiet.

I have a California Air 10 gallon compressor and would recommend it. It is not nearly as quiet as their video (in their video you can't even hear it)-- but is still markedly quieter than any other compressor I have worked with. I can carry on a conversation next to it while it is running and my wife can't hear it through the wall that separates the garage from the house.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Ordered the 1hp industrial CA- we will see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

If you filled out LSA, Ridgid will either fix it, or replace it FREE!. You did file out the LSA, right?

Brad - sorry I didn't get back to this earlier.
    IIRC, the bad reviews were on Amazon..

Yep - it was Amazon- I just looked.

People seem to love the 1 HP, but, that's too small for my needs.
    The 2 HP models are the ones people aren't fond of.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Well, the new CA compressor arrived yesterday and seems to pump about as fast as the Rigid in makes as much noise as a sewing machine. I am pleased.

Bruce - I bought the Rigid 5 years ago from a local guy that refurbs air compressors for $175. cash with no paper. I had 2 roofers working on my house and needed it pronto.

Rich - I may have to buy a bigger compressor at some point but this one will do what I need in the shop and it is quieter than my furnace blower.

Brad,
    Yeah, I've been real tempted to get an ultra quiet small compressor.
    My IR "hot dog" has plenty of air, but, the noise,,,,

For those looking, Rolair makes one as well that is very quiet. It is their JC10. Rolair has a very good name in the portable compressor market.

I recently bought a California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor on Amazon. It was $102.50. I can not believe how quiet it is. My previous air compressor was a pancake model. When I turned it on I had to leave the room. The California unit has been plugged in and turned on since I put it in my shop. I hardly notice when it comes on. It provides plenty of power for my brad nailer and 23 gauge pin nailer. The company makes a large variety of models.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Another CAT compressor owner here. Have had a 1 gal model for over a year and it is still going strong. Really love the lack of noise. Have been very pleased to date.

Brad,
    I see a number of 1hp models from CA on Amazon (many one-tank models of varying capacity and a couple of twin hot dog models. Which did you get? Tank capacity?