Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor recommandation for Epilog Mini

Air compressor recommandation for Epilog Mini

Hello !

I bought this year an Epilog Mini 24 40w ; it comes with a small pump for air assist, but it's a bit noisy (no tank) and the 30psi specified are not here (15/20 psi max).
    legend-compressor.jpg

Now I want something that can deliver constant 30/35 psi, with water filter and that is quiet enough.
    I don't want to spend too much money, but I want something reliable (500/600€)

Do you think something like this is good ?
    https://www.manutan.fr/fr/maf/compresseur-super-silencieux-0-45-cv#descriptionAnchor

- 8 bar
    - Tank 9l
    - 3m3/h
    - 42 db

or this, same thing with 15l tank
    http://www.euro-expos.net/compresseurs-silencieux-439/compresseur-silencieux-mecafer-lubrifie-40-db-2841.html

It's very quiet because it's an oil compressor, what do you think about oil with laser ?
    Or what do you recommand for a silent oil free compressor ?

If you use an oil compressor make sure you get a good air/oil separator, not the cheap one that comes with some compressors. Expect to pay close to US$100 for one that will actually work. You can get one for less but if any oil makes it through the lines and onto your lens, you'll be paying more than that for a new lens. I have no idea about the two you linked, they are not a brand I am familiar with and I don't have an easy way to convert the specs into numbers I am familiar with - psi, gallons, cfm. 42 db is pretty quiet though! If you can convert the numbers, I would recommend something that puts out 60-90 psi with at least 4-5 cfm and a 15 gallon tank. The bigger tank means it will cycle on/off less frequently and after a day of running it you'll be appreciative of a big tank! My last one was in the garage so noise wasn't an issue, it put out 15cfm at 90 psi and had a 60 gallon tank - it was LOUD! (industrial type).

edit: here is a link to the filter brand that I used http://www.filters.com/Tsunami-Air-Systems

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, that compressor will burn out VERY quickly if you run it over a 50% duty cycle, I had a 3 motor version and even that struggled to feed even one laser and oil became a problem very quickly

They are refrigeration compressors with very low displaced Free Air Delivery (FAD is far more important than CFM as FAD is what you get,not what the piston is moving. ie: air AT pressure)

Quiet / Cheap / Reliable simply doesn't work with compressors in any way shape or form.

Something like a belt driven industrial at Gary's figures will work but it won't be quiet, it will however work for many years and be a reasonable price
    You did what !

Just my debatable opinion, but there's no need for 30psi. If you're cutting say, puzzle pieces out of light 1/8" wood, that much air pressure can blow them off the table, and can move being-cut piece around. The cheap diaphragm pump that came with my Triumph hardly pushes 30psi, but with a narrow tip at wide open it blows hard enough it's moved 1/8" plex out of position. If the nozzle is aimed right at the beam spot, you need very little air to help with the cut (which I've never found actually happens) or to keep flame-ups from happening (which is the ONLY reason I use air). Diaphragm pumps are cheap, and very quiet compared to piston pumps. Mine is sitting under the right side of the machine on some of that HF rubber flooring, and it's quiet enough that it sometimes runs all day because I don't know it's running!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hello !

Thank you.
    I use my laser only 2 hours a day, I think I don't need something as huge as 15 gallon tank.

I found this, an oil free compressor : https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/bambi-pt24-oil-free-air-compressor

bambi_pt24_oil_free_air_compressor.jpg

- 6.34 gallon
    - 3.88 cfm
    - 116 psi
    - 54 db (I think it's not too noisy for a room)
    - 2.43 cfm at 58 psi

A bit cheaper, less than 500€

2.43 cfm at 58 psi
    You have to divide that by 2 as they have a 50% duty cycle so about 1.2 cfm FAD in reality.

They are good but in reality you would need this model

compressor.jpg
    You did what !

I used a $150 air brush compressor (diaphragm) for 8 hours a day over 6 years, at 25lb and it finally died this past spring at age 13. Very quiet, and they are made to run for hours, but I did turn it off when not cutting. The piston type are meant to fill a tank then stop and cool.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

If we're talking 'real' air compressors, if you have the space, 220 volts, and a Home Depot card -
    this is a great bang for the buck--
    huskyap.jpg
    I bought one of these a couple of years ago, and I've been very impressed with it for the price, even Harbor Freight can't beat it. Has decent recovery, 13.4@40psi, 11.5@90... Takes 7 minutes flat to hit 155psi from totally empty. From kick-on to off in light use takes about a minute. And this is the quietest compressor of this type I've ever seen.

The beauty of these things, you'll find yourself blowing out the furnace filters, blowing the dust out of your computers, blowing out the vacuum cleaner filters, blowing out electric motors, blowing the crud out of the central air condenser fins, you'll be keeping the air in your tires topped off, you'll get a few air tools; an impact wrench, air ratchet, air chisel (these are fun), air sanders, an air-over-hydraulic jack, a sandblast pot... you'll wonder how you ever got along without one!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I use a Gast 71r twin rocking piston compressor. It is tankless, oil-less and rated for continuous duty. It is the same type of compressor used in those quarter-fed gas station tire pumps. New they are about $600 but you can find them on eBay for about half that.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

If you want a quiet compressor try a rotary vane one.

I would use the one that came with the unit. See if you can muffle the noise a bit. All of these others seem to me to be overkill.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

komp.jpg

I have this one. Similar to the one Dave posted but with 3x750W motors, 90L tank. I have another one with 2 motors and 50L tank and that was barely able to keep up when I'm cutting plywood. Lots of air makes a big difference to cut finish and speed. Ordered with the laser it cost $400.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I would use the one that came with the unit. See if you can muffle the noise a bit. All of these others seem to me to be overkill.

Do you do a lot of plywood cutting?
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

I doubt this will help the op in Switzerland, but here in the states there is California Air Tools and they make some decent compressors in the quiet range of things. I use one in my shop, not for the laser, but for the CNC mill and it's much more pleasant to run that the 5hp Ingersoll that is over 90 db. The CAT one I have is 2hp and ten gallon I think it was, maybe 20 gallon, works great and runs at about 72db (measured with an app on my iPhone). The model I have was on sale a couple Christmas's ago at Home Depot for just under $300.

Found a link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...020C/206644539
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

3, 4 motor 'portable' compressors, never seen such things (I don't get out much )

Best I can tell from the limited specs available online, typical 3-motor 90L (24-gallon) compressors outflow between 180-200L, or 7cfm... that's only slightly more than half of the 13.4cfm output of the Husky I have - the Husky uses 15 amps v around 11, but 2x the outflow means it will run approx half as often, and it takes up less floor space. As for maintenance of 'regular' compressors-- I have a used-daily 20-ish year old 80 gallon Coleman compressor that's been outside in a plastic shed the whole time enduring temps from -15 to 120°, I put it's first replacement motor on it and changed the original oil out last year-finally. I'm expecting the tank to rust out before the mechanicals give up...

The only advantage I can see to a 3 or 4 motor portable unit is the noise level, and that it's easy to move around...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter