Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearly Done

Blog Entries

Nearly Done

This cabinet/bookshelf has been in the works for a while. A few other projects have been finished around it.

My plan was to have three drawers and three shelves. If the top surface counts as a shelf then it is almost done:

Almost Done.jpg

The top back piece is about all that is left before cutting a piece of 1/4" (6 mm in reality) plywood for the back. My mind will be mulling over if it should be a simple curved back or if some other shape should be cut before it is stained to match the rest.

This is the piece for which the drawers were being made in my Tails of Pins to Come thread. Two of the drawers will get handles before it is brought into the house. The invisible drawer already has an invisible handle.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-27-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice work Jim. Have you considered a full length tongue-n-groove back?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Nice work Jim. Have you considered a full length tongue-n-groove back?
    The thought came to me after it was already cut for a piece of plywood.

That was before getting a new bandsaw that would let me do some accurate re-sawing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Looks nice Jim. What stain did you use? I got a similar color using Minwax Fruit wood as I recall.

Blog Entries
    The stain is Minwax Golden Oak.

jtk

Nice work Jim.

Post a picture when you have decided how the top will look.

Stew

Looking good Jim! I think some kind of curved back would compliment the sides.

Nice case Jim. It has scroll at the top back written all over it.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Finally finished this project:

The Inspector.jpg

One of our cats is curious.

This is a mistake which moved me to ask about how folks deal with mistakes:

The Mistake.jpg

Read something about removing half blind dovetail waste with a forestner bit. Messed up and drilled into one of the pins. It would have been easy to make it look right. Since this side will be facing a wall it was left as a reminder to be more careful next time.

Here is a side view:

Side View.jpg

All three drawers are open. Most people won't think of a dust plate or kick plate as a place for a drawer, but it does add a bit more space for storage.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-14-2017 at 8:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Agree with the cat. It's a nice handsome and graceful piece. I like the drawer ,the undulating bottom is a bit of whimsy on an otherwise sober piece. Some will like that less than others and some wiil love it.

You said three drawers in an earlier post and I couldn't figure out where it was going to go. I like what you did though, kind of a secret drawer. I noticed the bottom drawer appears to use side runners, is that right? Nice project!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    You said three drawers in an earlier post and I couldn't figure out where it was going to go. I like what you did though, kind of a secret drawer. I noticed the bottom drawer appears to use side runners, is that right? Nice project!
    Yes, the bottom drawer is hung on side runners. Those have the advantage of being the drawer stops. The other two drawers have stops attached in the back.

jtk

As always, Jim, really nice work!

I like it Jim. The bottom hidden drawer is a great idea.
    Sometimes when we try to do something differently it doesn't come out the way we like, but next time may be much better.

Blog Entries
    Pat, Jeff & Michael, thanks for the kind and encouraging words.

If we learn from our mistakes, my mistakes have likely made me a very well learned person.

This is sort of a prototype of something that may be built for sale in the future. Not sure if we are going to continue with the farmers market or not. Getting up early in the morning is not one of my favorite things.

jtk