Thread: Flooring advice

Flooring advice

This isn't actually a workshop question but it seemed the best forum for it nevertheless. I'm building a mudroom in my garage and in a few weeks, I'll be installing whatever flooring I decide to use. I could use some advice on what I should consider. It's a small area, about 60 square feet, and the subfloor is a concrete ramp. I need something that will handle a fair amount of abuse and it needs to be as low profile as possible. The ramp was installed when the house was built to facilitate my wife's electric wheelchair. I need to keep the profile down so it is not more difficult for the wheelchair, so the underlayment requirements need to be considered. For instance, I can't put in something that requires a 1/2" OSB subfloor that would raise the height of the complete floor an inch or more as it will create quite a lip at the entry point. If I have to, I could probably install a transition to deal with this but that's plan B if I have a choice.

I haven't given a great deal of thought to what would be best. Just a little investigation on the web. It needs to be something I can install myself with little experience (though I have done tile, which is an option). Durability and ease of care are important. Looks and cost are areas where I can compromise a bit; we may end up with a rug to cover much of it to cut down on rainwater and mud in the house from the wheelchair and while cost is a factor, it's a small area, so there's wiggle room there.

Any advice on what I should be looking at would be appreciated, as would comments about installation or anything else you think relevant. I'll likely talk to someone at one of the big stores but am always a little wary of those who may be more interested in selling me what's best for them and not me.

Sheet vinyl. Thinnest flooring available, low cost, easy to install, easy to clean, and durable.

One word of caution about sheet vinyl. I installed some no-wax vinyl in our basement bathroom. It went down well. It looks good. However, when you come out of the shower wet, if you step on the vinyl, you will end up on your butt. We were forced to put down throw rugs in the bathroom for safety reasons. The no-wax vinyl I installed is extremely slick when wet! Other than that, it's worked well. One thing to consider is some commercial flooring products that are laid in sheets.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

How about an epoxy concrete finish? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeUWXvK0nU
    No thickness build up - no slip - easy maintenance - plenty of color options - texturing or pattern making too if you are so inclined.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Perhaps Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) would work for you. There are many options in color and shapes. It is only about 1/16" thick and is very durable. It can be laid down with full adhesive or just on the edges, but for your situation, I would think full adhesive gluedown would be best. It cuts easily by scoring and snapping. I have laid it down in several retail stores and find it easy to work with. My wife has actually said we might want to put it down in our kitchen it looks so good. Costs about $5 a square foot, though for just a box or two you might pay more.

There are many manufacturers, but here is one;

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/vinyl/_/red
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    Mudroom on concrete = ceramic tile on thinset.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Mudroom on concrete = ceramic tile on thinset.
    This was my thought, too.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Agree with Ole and Jason ... excellent opportunity for tile/stone on thinset. Nothing better for a mudroom floor IMO.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius