Thread: Hands On Prep work

Hands On Prep work

I've been asked to do a hands on demonstration in February at the Florida Woodturning Symposium. These are some of the designs I'm considering. I'll do more till I figure out what I can best help students to successfully complete. The pedestal finial box will probably look pretty much like I've done so far.
    6.jpg
    Change One Thing

George - congrats on becoming a demonstrator at the Florida symposium!! That is quite the honor! I am sure anything you demo will be well received! Do you have to submit images of your work for marketing purposes? Curious as to what guidelines the symposium set for your demo.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hey Steve,
    Generally, the hands on are done by local guys. We have 5 "students" in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. They pay a modest fee which we get. If we fill the classes it's a day's pay (forgot to mention we have to supply the wood - I'll also be providing the sanding materials and a bunch of tools to borrow. We get a favorable rate on accommodations, in the end it's a little more than a break even IF YOU FILL THE CLASSES. More the honor and pleasure of having been asked and getting to give back.
    It's not much of a paying gig, and there's no travel or any other benefits like that.
    I was scheduled a couple of years ago but had to bow out because of what (THANKFULLY) turned out to be a minor health scare.
    Change One Thing