Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix/ woodworking

Thumbs up Netflix/ woodworking

For those of you that use Netflix: try doing a search for the word "woodworking". Looks like they have some thing to offer in that area. I put all 6 DVD's in my queue. Some aren't released as of yet, but when they do,,,,,

Fine Woodworking: Bowl Turning

Fine Woodworking: Turning Wood

Fine Woodworking: Dovetail a Drawer

Mastering Woodworking Machines

Fine Woodworking: Mastering Your Bandsaw

Fine Woodworking: Mastering Your Table Saw

They also have, Season 1 of "Ask This Old House"

Thanks for the heads up, in never ceases to amaze me what you can get from netflix!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson
    Thanks for the heads up, in never ceases to amaze me what you can get from netflix!
    Including them being the subject of the lastest scam to come through my e-mail. E-mail says that I have to sign up to be included in the pay-out of the "Netflix Class-Action Law Suit" or "Indicate That I Do Not Wish To Be Included". Either way I was requested to log on and give my info. Funny thing is - I've never used Netflix nor had a Netflix account. For those who do use Netflix, BE CAREFUL.

George

In Fact - Here is the e-mail:

You are receiving this notice because you were a paid Netflix member before January 15, 2005. Under a proposed class action settlement, you may be eligible to receive a free benefit from Netflix.

A class action lawsuit entitled Chavez v. Netflix, Inc. was filed in San Francisco Superior Court (case number CGC-04-434884) on September 23, 2004. The lawsuit alleges that Netflix failed to provide "unlimited" DVD rentals and "one day delivery" as promised in its marketing materials. Netflix has denied any wrongdoing or liability. The parties have reached a settlement that they believe is in the best interests of the company and its subscribers.

Netflix will provide eligible subscribers with the benefit described below, if the settlement is approved by the Court.

Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 and were a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3 DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month. (If you cancel your membership after October 19, 2005 and before you receive the upgrade, you will have to rejoin to get the upgrade.)

Former Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 but were not a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month Netflix membership on your choice of the 1, 2 or 3 DVDs at-a-time unlimited program. (If you rejoin after October 19, 2005 but before you receive the free one-month membership, you will receive a credit for the free month when it becomes available.)
    These benefits will be provided after the Effective Date as defined in the Settlement Agreement. Your eligibility for the benefits is based on your membership status as of October 19, 2005. The full Settlement Agreement is available for review at www.netflixsettlement.com.

You have four options to respond to the proposed settlement. You have until December 28, 2005 to make your decision:

Option 1. Sign Up For The Benefit As Part Of The Settlement
    To receive the benefit, you must complete the online registration process no later than February 17, 2006, at www.netflixsettlement.com. By signing up for the benefit, you waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims (as defined in the Settlement Agreement found at www.netflixsettlement.com).

Option 2. Do Nothing
    If you do not wish to receive the benefit, do nothing. You will not receive the benefit but will remain a Class Member. You therefore waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims.

Option 3. Exclude Yourself From the Class
    To exclude yourself from the class, you must mail a letter by December 28, 2005. By excluding yourself, you preserve your right to bring a lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Released Claims. However, you will not get the benefit described above.

Option 4. Make An Objection To The Settlement In Court
    To object to the settlement, you must file legal papers in the San Francisco Superior Court by January 5, 2006.

To receive your benefit, you must register by February 17, 2006 as described above in Option 1. You will not receive any other reminders to register for the benefit. If you have registered for the benefit and your eligibility is confirmed, then you will be provided additional information by email following the Effective Date as defined in the Settlement Agreement.

After the benefit period ends, the new or upgraded level of service will continue automatically (following an email reminder) and you will be billed accordingly, unless you cancel or modify your subscription. You can cancel or modify your subscription at any time.

In addition, if the settlement is approved by the Court, Netflix will modify portions of its Terms of Use. Netflix also will refer to its Terms of Use in certain advertisements.

To get more information about the settlement and procedures, and to take options 1, 3 or 4, visit www.netflixsettlement.com.

SRC: 10312005CAS
    (c)1997-2005 Netflix, Inc. 970 University Ave., Los Gatos, CA 95032
    This message was mailed to [gsummers@nc.rr.com]
    Last edited by George Summers; 11-03-2005 at 8:06 AM.

Actually, the Netflix settlement is real. If you go to the Netflix website, there is a link in the lower right corner for "Settlement". This takes you to the same web page as the one listed in the email.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones
    For those of you that use Netflix: try doing a search for the word "woodworking". Looks like they have some thing to offer in that area. I put all 6 DVD's in my queue. Some aren't released as of yet, but when they do,,,,,
    Doug,

You missed one that I recommend, Building a Shaker Table. I think the section on sharpening a scraper blade is worth the rental even if you don't have a desire to build the table. The only others I have been able to rent are the bandsaw and the dovetail DVDs. The others never seem to be available.

Kurt

Thanks Doug !! I wll add them to my queue as well. I hope they continue to add and start adding some of Normie's episodes.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Doug, Thanks for the heads-up. I've been a Netflix fan for several years, great service and great library of movies.

Interestingly, NF lists the dovetail ( and others) DVD as a 'save' not an 'add' item. This usually means it is not released yet. Not sure what's up with this. Perhaps they have different libraries depending on location? Maybe they think we left coasters aren't that 'into' woodworking?

great info...

been using netflix for close to 2 years, and never donned on my to check out the woodworking..

Has anybody done a search to see if that awesome turning DVD featuring our own Bill Grumbine has made its way to the NetFlix shelves?

If it ain't there.....it should be!!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    Has anybody done a search to see if that awesome turning DVD featuring our own Bill Grumbine has made its way to the NetFlix shelves?

Keith
    I agree it should be,,, however its not.
    I did a search for Grumbine and the movie "Grumpy Old Men" came up. HMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones
    I agree it should be,,, however its not.
    I did a search for Grumbine and the movie "Grumpy Old Men" came up. HMMMM

That is a classic
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Blog Entries
    I get those referencing PayPal at least once a week despite some pretty agressive spam filters. Clever buggers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

IIRC, The "Save" feature means that NF does not current have the movie in its library. However, by saving it in your Queue, you are indicating that you would like it if it ever is added to the Netflix library, it is also used by Netflix to determine the demand for movies that are not in their collection yet.

So come on Creekers, lets all add them to our Queue so that Netflix will buy them!!

good idea , might be worth joining for a couple of months for .

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta

Keith
    I recently rented this from Smartflix. That place is similar to Netflix, but you pay a per video charge, no monthly contract.

Kurt