Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is your DW735?

How old is your DW735?

I ordered a Shelix head for my DW735 planer. After placing the order, I wondered if spending that much money upgrading a machine that is at least 10 years old made sense. I am unsure of when I bought the machine but it was within a year or two of when they were introduced.

There does not seem to be much information available on the typical lifespan of this excellent tool. Have many members worn out one of these yet?

Thanks
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Mfg. date 2007. Got it 3 or 4 years ago, used on Craigslist. Can't say how it was used before, but I've filled up several barrels of shavings & it's still going strong. Some may deride it as a plastic toy, but for medium duty or finish planing, it does the job.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

It's not a toy, but it is not a commercial tool either. You might consider a 15" used Grizzly or other Taiwanese clone for the same money then upgrade the head. It will last you the rest of your life.

My 735 is at least 10 years old. I bought it used from a commercial shop about 10 years ago. It doesn't get used every day so I'd say light use since I bought it. But it's in good shape and I expect to get many more years out of it.

If I put a shelix head in one and then the rest of the 735 failed, I'd take the shelix out and sell it to someone else with a 735 and we'd both come out well. There's little to go wrong with the shelix except the bearings and those can be replaced.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My 735 is at least 10 years old. I bought it used from a commercial shop about 10 years ago. It doesn't get used every day so I'd say light use since I bought it. But it's in good shape and I expect to get many more years out of it.

If I put a shelix head in one and then the rest of the 735 failed, I'd take the shelix out and sell it to someone else with a 735 and we'd both come out well. There's little to go wrong with the shelix except the bearings and those can be replaced.

Mike
    Okay, say you pay $400 for a used one, put a new shelix on it for what, 500? So now you have $900 in it and if fries itself, how much will you get for that used Shelix? If you buy a used Grizzly and put the same head on it it will never wear out.

Nothing against the Dewalt, I have a lot of Dewalt tools, but some things you should buy once. Just my opinion, TIFWIW

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    Okay, say you pay $400 for a used one, put a new shelix on it for what, 500? So now you have $900 in it and if fries itself, how much will you get for that used Shelix? If you buy a used Grizzly and put the same head on it it will never wear out.

Nothing against the Dewalt, I have a lot of Dewalt tools, but some things you should buy once. Just my opinion, TIFWIW
    I agree if you're buying new. But some of us - me included - have a 735, and have had it for years. If I was convinced that a shelix would work better than the straight blade heads I have now, I can upgrade for about $400 (check Holbren).

Then, if I used it for some number of additional years, and let's say the motor on the 735 failed. I have something in that 735 that has value - the shelix head. Rather than throwing it all away, I'd take the shelix head out and sell it to someone else who owns a 735 and wants to upgrade. That way, I get a few dollars back and the other person gets a shelix head cheap. Sounds like a win-win.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The fact that my 735 is approximately 10 years old was one of the reasons I chose not to upgrade the head. I don't know how much longer it will last, but I'm not willing to spend as much money as the planer cost me to begin with to upgrade it with an unknown future life. While it doesn't get commercial nor everyday use, it works well for me the way it was made and I'm reluctant to mess with success. If I were required to replace the planer, I might consider a new 735, replacement of the HSS knives with a helical head, and then it would be good for at least 10 years and worth it. I'd also consider other options which already had a helical head. There are many more options now than when I bought the Dewalt and some better.

Purchased mine in 2009. Not heavily used. No major issues with it to date.

I had a 735 for atleast 5 years with a set of infinity carbide tipped knives. I planed a lot of nasty exocits.I also loaned it to my friend that has a flooring business several times to plane down red oak flooring. I was surprised how I couldn't kill it. I sold it for 300 several years ago. What a great machine.
    I have a pm with a Bryd head and I hate it.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post

John,

The question, as always, is what your needs are. For me, having what is essentially a finish planer that fits on a shelf when not needed is perfect. Could I get more machine for only slightly more money? Probably. But in my shop, sometimes less is more because there is no room for "more."

And, while the Shelix head does indeed look like a pricey upgrade for a 735, if the 735 form factor is right, and you use the machine much at all, it's really just a prepayment plan for a better cut. One set of knives on the Byrd head will outlast half a dozen or more oem blades, and deliver better cuts the whole time if you're planing anything remotely chippy.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 10-29-2017 at 8:27 PM.

Mine is six years old and I have repaired it about six times.

While planing cedar sometimes a knot comes loose and as the planer eats it the chip exhaust fan is damaged.

I like this planer but this is the weak point in this tool. (In my experience)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I look at this just the opposite way-once a tool has been used for several years it has essentially paid for itself so I am willing to repair it or pay for parts to keep it running.

In my shop, I have a 1939 ish buffalo 18 Drill press, a 1941 Walkker Turner band saw, a 1948 Craftsman parks planer, a 1955 king Seely craftsman Jointer, a 1951 Olivier 159 lathe, a 1973 Delta Rockwell Unisaw, a 1979 Powermatic 87, a 1994 Powermatic 60 jointer, a 1996 Delta Scroll saw, a 2007 DeWalt compound miter saw, a 1982 Taiwanese drill press, and a 1980's ish Inca 259.

One could argue the Dewalt is just a throw away tool but I would argue the opposite-no reason it can't work for fifty years or more.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 10-30-2017 at 9:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Mine is six years old and I have repaired it about six times.

While planing cedar sometimes a knot comes loose and as the planer eats it the chip exhaust fan is damaged.

I like this planer but this is the weak point in this tool. (In my experience)
    ...and the strong point is its relative light weight and affordability. One would not buy a truck and expect it to run ten years without repair, why would one expect that out of a tool?

Just playing devils advocate...

Lots of those planers out there. Still being sold. Lots of parts availability to support it in the future. Easy to sell the head if desired. Seems like a good upgrade since you already have the planer...

I wouldn't buy that combination brand new though. At close the combined cost you could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    Lots of those planers out there. Still being sold. Lots of parts availability to support it in the future. Easy to sell the head if desired. Seems like a good upgrade since you already have the planer...

I wouldn't buy that combination brand new though. At close the combined cost you could do better.
    Considering that there was recently a large Oliver planer in decent running condition for a grand here in Ohio, yes...