Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cutting a hole in DC duct??

Nibbler
    Air saw
    Tin snips

We can get very creative.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Nibbler
    Air saw
    Tin snips

We can get very creative.
    Plasma cutter
    Death wheel in a grinder
    Remove the whole section and put it in a 7 axis cnc mill
    Careful TNT placement
    Torch
    Anger and the pointy end of a hammer
    Sandpaper if your patient
    Church key
    Die grinder
    K-Bar knife
    Cold chisel
    Primer cord
    Trained rats (my personal favorite so far)
    Technically you could probably use your forehead too. (there are days this is the best option)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Plasma cutter
    Death wheel in a grinder
    Remove the whole section and put it in a 7 axis cnc mill
    Careful TNT placement
    Torch
    Anger and the pointy end of a hammer
    Sandpaper if your patient
    Church key
    Die grinder
    K-Bar knife
    Cold chisel
    Primer cord
    Trained rats (my personal favorite so far)
    Technically you could probably use your forehead too. (there are days this is the best option)
    No one picked up on my idea of a hot soldering iron, assuming pvc?

Blog Entries
    Every project deserves a new tool. In this case I would get an air nibbler... https://www.harborfreight.com/16-gau...ler-46061.html a little over $20 with a 20% off coupon.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    BTW, I watched some "professional" HVAC guys cutting in to a metal duct. They took a screw driver and a hammer and wacked the screw driver on it's side to tear a hole. Then they went in with aircraft shears. Badda boom, badda bang. The hole was done in 60 seconds. A couple of years later I was adding a central AC and needed to cut into a plenum. Out comes a screw driver and hammer. Badda boom badda-bang. 60 seconds - - all done.
    No need to over think... ;-)
    I agree . I am a retired Sheet metal worker and this is how we all do it. I recommend Wiss brand offset tin snips. Most people prefer the red ones.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Gents: gents thanks for the info and apologize for not responding sooner. Last week, ordered the saddle tap from Oneida.

What I am 'gonna' do is take the saddle tap and section of the DC pipe to hold the tap to two local sheet metal shops for ideas. Sometimes green paper with portraits of dead presidents works wonders when you need a helping hand. Thanks again!

Actually, the saddle tap make things pretty easy because the hold in the duct actually doesn't need to be "pretty". Or even evenly round. Place the saddle tap on the duct where it's going to live and oriented the way you want to come off the duct. (should be horizontal, even for "vertical" drops) Mark the boundaries of the saddle tap with a Sharpie market-- don't worry about the lines because you'll seal it up with foil tape afterward. Once you have the boundaries, just cut a hole in the duct any way you prefer. You can drill a hole and then use a metal cutting blade in a jig saw or use snips...whatever. Just stat well "inside the lines" so you have enough area to fasten the saddle tap to the duct afterward using short screws or pop rivets. You can put a bead of caulk down before you fasten the saddle tap permanently, but I'd still use a little foil tape to clean things up and insure a full seal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...