Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router table top deflection ????

Is it possible to use a fairing compound and level it? Then maybe apply a nice Baltic birch top.
    You really want that table top flat.
    .025?is actually more than you think. If two pieces have to mate together, you could end up off by .050

Thanks guys. Due to other obligations I was forced to walk away from it after the weekend so I've had time to think on it. The top sits flat once removed. Here is what I've deduced after the fact. The stand assembly is applying pressure once I built the cabinet into it. In other words, the cabinet is so tight of a fit that it is putting stress onto the legs and stringers that screw to the bottom of the table top. This stress was actually enough that it was pulling and pushing on the top enough to deform it.

The way I designed the stand means that I can't get to the screws that go into the table while the stringers are bolted to the legs. Im Going to have to modify the top connection slightly and what I think I've decided to try first is to install a double layer of 3/4" mdf on top of the stand and then apply my phenolic top to that. Should give a nice flat, thick backing for my phenolic to rest on.

Will continue to to think about it as I may ultimately scrap it and start over n the cabinet design but we will see.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 11-01-2017 at 6:15 PM.

You are right. (Unlike other fields, the woodworking community is very conservative and slow to accept new changes).
    I was thinking of building a router table with a tilting top, but with the router attached to the sides (or bottom), not the top. I can build it, but the problem is that I can’t install a router lift. All commercial lifts have the rectangle plate on the top. The only alternative is building a DIY lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berti View Post
    You are right. (Unlike other fields, the woodworking community is very conservative and slow to accept new changes).
    I was thinking of building a router table with a tilting top, but with the router attached to the sides (or bottom), not the top. I can build it, but the problem is that I can’t install a router lift. All commercial lifts have the rectangle plate on the top. The only alternative is building a DIY lift.
    I can't see the lift being a big problem, a side mounted CNC spindle(s) is lifted and lowered with the panel it is attached to as in my linked video. If the top does not have a router attached to it then all sorts of possibilities open up. It can be removeable by lifting it off locating pins, it does not have to be hugely heavy and thick etc. Water cooled spindles are a lot more quiet than routers which is another big plus.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening