Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordless track saw???

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    DeWalt used to have a cordless track saw but they abandoned it. I hope they do not do that again. (I am not a DeWalt hater, my track saw is DeWalt but when a manufacturer introduces it and then abandones it, especially a cordless tool that will need batteries occasionally, it could create a real issue for an owner)
    They didnt abandon it. They just released one a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Jim, the typical method for making a traditional saw guide is to make the bottom slightly oversize such that the first cut along the rabbetted ledge with your circular saw trims it to a precise zero clearance cut line. The cutting precision is precisely identical to a packaged, branded track saw. And for stability, there are various methods for helping it "stay put". Mine was to coat the bottom with a spray can of plasti-dip.
    Again, not that I'm knocking track saws or suggesting they are hype because we both agree on some of the unique features. But there is nothing they do that a traditional sawboard guide with a decent circular saw cannot do in terms of actual and precise cutting.
    I don't disagree that one can do a pretty good job with a "traditional" saw guide, but the stability refinements and optimized saws that come with today's track saws are pretty appealing to many of us. I rarely used my standard circular saw (an orange B&D from the late 1970s ) but have used my track saw more than I expected and for things I wouldn't have thought of a few years ago, too. In fact, I'm using it for the wall covering for my current stairwell enclosure project upstairs in my shop building...because of the mobility/flexibility and the dust collection. It's come in handy to "fix" things on already assembled cabinetry and quite a few projects in our home where I wouldn't dream of firing up the ol' B&D, both with short and long tracks and with the multi-function table. It's nice to have choices!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    Our woodworking club visited the local Makita factory earlier this year so and I had the chance to put hands on their cordless version. Very impressive for accuracy and smooth operation and good feel in the hand. I'm just worried about the torque (I cut 2-3 sheets at a time when I'm doing a kitchen job for instance - cuts the time down a lot). I also do a lot of straight lining of rough sawn solid oak using my tracks which takes a pretty strong saw. I think its got a niche but still if I'm dishing out for a track saw I'm leaning corded. I currently use a Makita 5008 and True Tracks (similar to EZ track) now but I'm looking at a better dust collection setup like a track saw offers for site work - probably Festool.
    Rick,
    If you're going to be gang-cutting ply and ripping you'll want the TS 75, the TS 55 just doesn't have the torque. I've tried cutting 2 sheets of 3/4 with my TS 55 and it's a slow process. And it won't cut deep enough for 3 sheets.