Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Hose Reel

Air Hose Reel

I tried searching the forums for Air Hose Reels but came up empty. So here's my question, anyone have a retractable air hose reel that has held up well for you. Harbor Freight ones get very bad reviews, especially for the hose. I would like to keep it under $150 if possible. I'll probably hang it from the ceiling. Thanks for any replies.

I had one from Home Depot that held up really well but that was purchased almost 15 years ago. Probably doesn't apply to whatever they sell today. Also had a much simpler crank style one I kept 100' of 1/2" hose on for non-woodworking uses.

One thing I will say about the retractable one, I had a love-hate relationship with it. First, the spring on the better ones is pretty strong, a good thing for retracting the hose but that means you need to pull pretty good on the hose. I found that didn't work well with the 1/4" urethane hose I'd have loved to use on it. I used a 3/8" urethane hose that was OK instead. Second there's a stopper on the hose to keep it from retracting too far. It was a pretty good size rubber piece not much smaller than a hockey puck. That liked to grab on edges than the like and liked to occasionally slip along the hose since it was made for large diameter hose. Frankly the super-light 1/4" urethane hose hung on a hook was just as convenient, though a trip hazard running across the floor instead of hanging down from above like the reel. Note that this applies for typical shop tasks like using a blow gun or nailer, or even an HVLP gun. Can't run a 1/2" impact gun on a small hose like that.

I'm a big fan of the Legacy/Flexzilla reels - have had two of the all metal, dual axle arm model for years and they hold up great. However they may not be in your budget. The L8611FZ single arm model looks like it is ($175 on Amazon now) - worth looking at.

I have one of the harbor freight reels. Yes, the hose sucks (though it has held up for me 3 years now), but the reel itself is pretty heavy duty, all metal, solid. I planned to just replace the hose with a high quality hose, at some point. That said, I wish it were possible to put a polyurethane hose on it, it may be, never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    I tried searching the forums for Air Hose Reels but came up empty. So here's my question, anyone have a retractable air hose reel that has held up well for you. Harbor Freight ones get very bad reviews, especially for the hose. I would like to keep it under $150 if possible. I'll probably hang it from the ceiling. Thanks for any replies.
    I have a Goodyear reel in the maintenance area of my shop, this one (or at least it looks like it): https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-L815.../dp/B01GFA35N2 I pull it outdoors to use with farm equipment too. Very well made, heavy duty reel and hose.

Is this for the shop ceiling? The Goodyear might be too big and maybe the hose longer than needed. If it is good quality, maybe their other reels are too.

JKJ

I agree. No sense spending on a high quality reel and high quality hose when all you need is a good hose. Wait 'til the hose needs replacing (often only the end needs to be repaired anyway) and put the replacement on the adequately rugged but cheap reel.

I have the HF reel and pretty happy with it.

Ive had a HF one in old shop for well 12 years with no issue. That being said you can get deals on ebay on Cox reels which are super nice. Also refurb ceiling roboreels are $100 and are sweet if you dont need 1/2" lines.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

i have the harbor freight one too, couple of years, but i got it from my brother in law, no idea how long it has been around. I just noticed the hose was leaking and cracked at the fitting, I have a new flexzilla to go on the reel when i get around to it. perfectly happy with it, should be even better without the red rubber hose.

Actually a rubber hose is pretty good. Problem is most are not rubber. HF lies and calls their hose rubber but read the fine print and it is synthetic rubber. Not nearly as good as real rubber.
    HF used to sell good rubber hoses made in Sweden. Now they are synthetic rubber,made in China, and the fitting hex is too short to tighten without a special service wrench. If you use a regular end wrench it will leak.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-30-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks for all the great replies. I looking at the plastic fexzilla reel. If I did a lot more in my garage I think I'd go with a all metal one. I'm really cheap so I'm going to think about it some more.

Another option

I didn't see if it was mentioned here but for inside he shop another option is running air lines to outlets near the most often points of use. I installed RapidAir plastic lines with outlets around and outside the shop. One outlet even feeds the reel I mentioned I use mostly for maintenance outside. I ran the lines in the walls but they can easily be exposed.

The nice thing about this is I don't need to drape a line across the shop. Shorter coiled lines plugged into the outlets give me air for nozzles and air tools in the wood shop as well as machining and welding areas. Might be something to consider. The basic kit is easy to install and not too expensive.

JKJ

Put my maxline rapidair lines in this weekend John. Here is a couple of them. Here is a picture of what John recommended.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

14. I have the HF reel, and the reel itself is great and the hose has held up well enough, EXCEPT, the very end which is exposed to some sunlight. It's 3-4 years old, so no complaints.

I did something similar to Mike but not as many. Instead of a coil hose, I just bent up a quick hook from some steel, dressed the edges and corners so nothing was sharp and hung a a 25' x 1/4" Flexeel hose which I could recoil in a couple seconds.