Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Bulb Retribution

I have the same problem with a 3 way bulb in the family room. I put a new bulb in and sometimes within weeks only one setting works or the bulb is out completely. I actually had one flash and burn out as I installed it! A while ago I even put a new socket in and I still have the same problem with the bulbs.

I saw something on the light bulb that is in the fire house that has been burning for over 100 years. They said that when they first came out with them they would last to long so they started making them to burn out

In the end...how many folks are honestly going to even bother taking the time to replace a lighting source that "burns out" prematurely? Some will, for sure, but most will not. Hence, the manufacturers/retailers are not going to worry too much about it and will cheerfully replace any that actually do show up. I've had very few CFLs fail and no LEDs fail to-date. The CFLs that did give up the ghost are outside security lights that automatically cycle on and off daily and as someone already noted, on-off cycles seem to be a factor, regadrless of light source type.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

As for LEDs, I don't know how to extend their life except make sure they have plenty of ventilation or a good cooling heatsink.
    Light fixture fashion hadn't changed to accommodate LEDs. The directions for many LED bulbs say not to use them in a completely enclosed fixture. Yet when I tour the light fixtures at Lowes or Home Depot, at least half the overhead light fixtures have completely enclosed domes. Many vanity lights and sconces that have open shades don't look well ventilated.

Just as a matter of appearance, its irritating to deal with the slightly larger size of LED bulbs. For example, if you put 100W equilvalent LEDs in an old light fixture that has the platter style of shade , the top of the LED bulbs may be visible over the edge of the shade.

I've had LED bulbs that make an audible noise. I wonder if any of them contain a small fan!

I have had an LED fail that was only about 7 months old

I will only ever buy the Cree stuff now. They are sending me a new bulb, no questions asked to replace one that went out!

When LEDs first came out, I bought a few at around $7 each, to replace some lights in the kitchen. About two weeks later, I hit and broke one with a mop handle, thereby erasing any lifetime cost savings.

I did ask for my warranty and I had the receipt but they said that that model was no longer made. I ended up talking to a couple CS reps and finally they agreed to send me a replacement for the $40.00 one that went bad new one is now just a year old and works fine

We are almost 100% LED for screw-in bulbs and even the fluorescent strip in the master closet. I've not converted the fluorescent strips we put in the garage and basement. Almost all of them came from Costco. Knock on wood, I think we've had 2 LEDs fail in a little over 3 years, both very early. One was more of a mechanical failure where the bulb fell apart. The other just quit working. I had them sitting forever to go back to Costco for replacement but we kept forgetting and I eventually just tossed them.

CFLs we had a lot more failures. I had success (kind of) getting Home Depot to replace them a few times. Initially, management refused so I stood in the store and called the CS number on the bulb (which was Home Depot CS) who told me the store would replace it on the spot. She put me on hold, called the store I was at and talked to the manager who's attitude instantly changed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I have the same problem with a 3 way bulb in the family room. I put a new bulb in and sometimes within weeks only one setting works or the bulb is out completely. I actually had one flash and burn out as I installed it! A while ago I even put a new socket in and I still have the same problem with the bulbs.
    We replaced our 3-way bulbs with the Philips 120V 3WAY A21 20W 2700K E26 so far no failures after at least 3 years. Ours burn for several hours every day. They have excellent light out put and color for reading.Phipips LED.png I purchased them at the local Borg.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-01-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I replaced all of the light bulbs in my house with LED almost three years ago. Not a single failure to date! I have Philips, Cree, and GE bulbs. I found that CFL bulbs failed pretty quickly for the most part.

The Mythbuster did a light bulb test in 2006. They turned light bulbs on and off every two minutes. The early LED bulb they used was still going strong after six weeks while all other bulbs had long since burned out.

At work we moved into a new building about 3 years ago.
    All the lighting in the shop was installed new with LED's. Few months ago we had a light go out ( not the first one). The company that did the install came in to fix. I said to the service guy I thought LEDs lasted for years. He said yes they do but not the fixture/ circuit board.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    ... I said to the service guy I thought LEDs lasted for years. He said yes they do but not the fixture/ circuit board.
    I don't remember seeing a disclaimer about that on any LED bulb or fixture packaging!

JKJ

I believe LEDs are more reliant on quality than any other bulb at this point. I have some from different manufacturers, but the only ones I ever had an issue with is Feit, from Costco. I bought some of the 4' fixtures for my shop and the first one I plugged in last about 6 seconds, then died. I was so disgusted I just took them all back. I have had the cheap T8 fixtures from Depot running now for three years and have not lost a single one, nor any bulbs.

LED lights are changing so fast, and the competition is pretty stiff, so I believe they all compete on price, believing (correctly) that most will buy any LED as they 'always' last a long time. We all want quality for cheap, yet all know they are mutally exclusive.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I'm not fond of 3 way bulbs either but SWMBO likes the variable light output. We were in a local ACE hardware that had a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb on clearance. She homes in on clearance merchandise like a bee to a flower. ACE also had a dimmer device that screws into a standard socket and has a knob on the side. We bought both to replace a problematic 3 way CFL. Much better, it comes on first time every time. I've been eyeing replacement lamp sockets that have a dimming mechanism in place of the standard on-off switch but haven't bought one yet.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2RX2VU0RTHNKN