Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement spindles for MAX oscillating spindle sander

Success! The grizzly spindles fit with zero modifications! They're cheap too. Also, I had ordered what I thought were just the rubber drums, but they came with spindles and sandpaper sleeve as well. It's going to be very inexpensive to round out the entire set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Just a side note-
    Why do the Max sanders all end up painted beige? Yours is at least the fourth one, including mine, painted that color. Weird
    I did mine in gray, with red accents and polished crank rims:

Before:

After:

Beautiful job!

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. One of the Grizzly spindles does indeed fit, but the other's are a smidge smaller in diameter. I tried trimming some material off the end of the tapered section on one of the spindles, however I was starting to take off more than I felt comfortable with and it still wasn't seating all the way. Instead, I came up with a pretty shady solution, but it actually works quite well. I carefully wrapped a layer of blue tape around the taper. The spindles seat beautifully now and run without any vibration. I was using the big 4" spindle with the shimmed taper with no issue. I don't love this solution so I will keep an eye out for used spindles. For now, however, this is working surprisingly well. I've only used the machine a couple times so far, but I am totally in love. It's dead smooth. Aggressive yet controllable somehow. I'm running it with a VFD and am really enjoying having speed control. Despite the extra hassle, I'm pleased I went with this machine rather than an import.

IMG_20171112_125640466_HDR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Naeger View Post
    Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. One of the Grizzly spindles does indeed fit, but the other's are a smidge smaller in diameter. I tried trimming some material off the end of the tapered section on one of the spindles, however I was starting to take off more than I felt comfortable with and it still wasn't seating all the way.

IMG_20171112_125640466_HDR.jpg
    You should be fine removing material from the bottom of the taper, but you'll need to remove enough material so that the resulting diameter (of the shank) is slightly smaller than the inside diameter (minor diameter R) of the threaded section, which is what the smaller spindle looks like in your photo.

Also, you should check the taper closely and very carefully remove any galling. For that matter also check and remove any galling from the machine's tapered socket. Remember, install the spindle hand tight, NO wrench should be needed or used. The threads should be reverse of the direction of rotation* so that friction on the spindle alone keeps it snug. *If it isn't, reverse the direction with your VFD.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 11-13-2017 at 1:36 AM.

I recently bought one of these sanders and wanted to post "for the record" as I had to do a lot of research to find out the answer to the questions you asked.

There are four different spindle profiles for the MAX VS sanders.

1. The oldest ones made from 1966-1968 (200 made) use a standard Morse #2 taper with no threads on the distal end.
    2. The 2nd profile was made between 3/1968 and 5/1969 (103 units made) and used the standard #2 Morse taper with the threads on the distal end, but with the threads cut off.
    3. The 3rd profile was made between 5/1969 and 3/1980 and used the standard MT2 with the threads on the distal end. 1768 of these units were made.
    4. The 4th profile was made from 3/1980 to sometime in the 1980s It is the short MT2 with the threads at the distal end, and there were 1034 of these units made.
    5. The last profile was made from the 1980s on and is a short MT2 with undercut threads. This is also the thread pattern used on the MAX OVS as well as the clones, which include the Grizzly G1071 and at least some Jet models.

The sander I bought had bunged up threads on the top of the spindle (the part in the sander where the taper on the drum arbor fits into.) It had lost its jam nuts over the years and one of the POs had used Vise-Grips to immobilize the spindle to change drums, wrecking the threads. I did some measuring and found out that the Grizzly G1071's spindle, drums, and oscillating assembly are identical or near-identical to the MAX's and I put a G1071's spindle in my machine. They changed the spanner nut, drive key, and drive key set screws very slightly, but with the appropriate newer parts from Grizzly, the spindle assembly is a drop in replacement for the short MT2/threaded spindle MAX units as my original drums fit perfectly into the Grizzly spindle.

My sander was painted a turquoise color with a liberal amount of white spray paint overspray. Apparently it was painted red before that and appears to left the factory painted an olive green color.

Grizzly parts are well stocked and not very expensive. The 4x9" sanding drum is $75 and the entire spindle assembly including spindle, jam nuts, dust cover, bearings, drive key, oscillating worm gear, set screws, and drive key with bearings is about a hundred bucks.
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 06-17-2018 at 9:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I believe Tannewitz sells MAX now. They have them on their website. Tannewitz is an old iron manufacturer in the US. Might require a phone call to them versus email.
    Tannewitz no longer sells these units, they stopped selling them in the last handful of years. The last price list I saw was from 2008 and listed the US-made VSI at $4400 and the Taiwanese-made OVS at $3300.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I bought an older one and it had a bad oil leak. The seal was very hard to find and it took me a while to get one that was supposed to work. This was maybe 6-8 years ago. After a couple of years mostly just sitting in my shop, the crankcase seal is again leaking. Does anyone know if this is just a feature or do yours hold oil?
    The one I got leaked oil but a new oil seal fixed that. The oil seal is a commonly available unit, mine came from SKF (37x7x50 mm IIRC.) McMaster-Carr has them. The State units have a hard to find oil seal as it's a combination steel/rubber unit vs. the standard spring-loaded lipped rubber unit used on the MAX units.

Great info on this thread!

I just acquired a Max VSI spindle sander and it's missing several spindles... fortunately, they appear to be the same variation as @Joey Naeger's and I can likely use the spindles from Grizzly G1071.

I have a few questions....

- Several posts mentioned the drums include the spindle and sleeve as well. However, I noticed two of the ten sizes have a separate part for "complete spindle assembly"... SKU is suffixed with "A".... are they the same part? ...note the 1/4" has a different price.

P1071027 SPINDLE 1/4" $12.50
    P1071027A - COMPLETE SPINDLE ASSY 1/4 IN $18.75
    P1071028 - SPINDLE 3/8" $17.00
    P1071030 - SPINDLE 1/2" $14.25
    P1071032 - SPINDLE 5/8" $15.00
    P1071036 - SPINDLE 3/4" $13.00
    P1071049 - SPINDLE 1" $23.50
    P1071049A - COMPLETE SPINDLE ASSY 1" $23.50

- Are the throat insert plates compatible?

- Is the dust collection port/chute (P1071007 / #7 in the diagram) fit? One of @Phillip Gregory's posts mention "dust cover"...

Thanks!

Last edited by Allen Louie; 07-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Louie View Post
    Great info on this thread!

I just acquired a Max VSI spindle sander and it's missing several spindles... fortunately, they appear to be the same variation as @Joey Naeger's and I can likely use the spindles from Grizzly G1071.

I have a few questions....

- Several posts mentioned the drums include the spindle and sleeve as well. However, I noticed two of the ten sizes have a separate part for "complete spindle assembly"... SKU is suffixed with "A".... are they the same part? ...note the 1/4" has a different price.

P1071027 SPINDLE 1/4" $12.50
    P1071027A - COMPLETE SPINDLE ASSY 1/4 IN $18.75
    P1071028 - SPINDLE 3/8" $17.00
    P1071030 - SPINDLE 1/2" $14.25
    P1071032 - SPINDLE 5/8" $15.00
    P1071036 - SPINDLE 3/4" $13.00
    P1071049 - SPINDLE 1" $23.50
    P1071049A - COMPLETE SPINDLE ASSY 1" $23.50

- Is the dust collection port/chute (P1071007 / #7 in the diagram) fit? One of @Phillip Gregory's posts mention "dust cover"...

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, work got in the way.

1. The smaller spindle assemblies have the arbor, the retaining nut, and the set screws. The Part 27A appears to include all of those while 27 is just the arbor. (You appear to get a dollar off if you buy the complete assembly.) There is no mention of the difference between 49 and 49A either on Grizzly's website or in the manual. All of these spindles WILL fit your Max.

2. Not sure if the throat plates are compatible or not. The table measurements are different and the trunnions are different between Grizzly's sander and the Max sanders, so I would expect the table assembly on the Grizzly unit to probably be different, and the throat plates may not fit. Somebody would have to measure the two inserts to see.

3. Perhaps the dust cover will fit. Again, somebody would have to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Louie View Post

Thanks!

If they do I wouldn't even bother. They are stamped steel and far from flat. I made some out of Corian. I can measure the diameter if you still want to order some.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, work got in the way.

1. The smaller spindle assemblies have the arbor, the retaining nut, and the set screws. The Part 27A appears to include all of those while 27 is just the arbor. (You appear to get a dollar off if you buy the complete assembly.) There is no mention of the difference between 49 and 49A either on Grizzly's website or in the manual. All of these spindles WILL fit your Max.

2. Not sure if the throat plates are compatible or not. The table measurements are different and the trunnions are different between Grizzly's sander and the Max sanders, so I would expect the table assembly on the Grizzly unit to probably be different, and the throat plates may not fit. Somebody would have to measure the two inserts to see.

3. Perhaps the dust cover will fit. Again, somebody would have to measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    If they do I wouldn't even bother. They are stamped steel and far from flat. I made some out of Corian. I can measure the diameter if you still want to order some.
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

Cary - you seem to imply you have the G1071? If so, can you please measure the the dust chute... the width and height of the mount and the distance between the two screw holes. No need to measure the throat plates - I'll pass on the them as you suggest.

Allen,
    The mounting plate is 9.25" x 3.25" The mounting holes are about 5/8" in from each side and 1" off the bottom of the plate. The throat plates are 6-7/8" in diameter(just in case anybody else that is reading is interested)

Cary
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 07-13-2018 at 3:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Allen,
    The mounting plate is 9.25" x 3.25" The mounting holes are about 5/8" in from each side and 1" off the bottom of the plate. The throat plates are 6-7/8" in diameter(just in case anybody else that is reading is interested)

Cary
    Thanks, Cary!

Just won the auction on one of these Max spindle sanders and have a question. Going to pick it up tomorrow and wonder if oil will leak out if I lay it on its side without first draining it. Can anyone help with that?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Just won the auction on one of these Max spindle sanders and have a question. Going to pick it up tomorrow and wonder if oil will leak out if I lay it on its side without first draining it. Can anyone help with that?
    I transported mine on its side... I placed a towel under it and it did leak a very small amount. YMMV.