Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement spindles for MAX oscillating spindle sander

Replacement spindles for MAX oscillating spindle sander

Does anyone know of a source for replacement spindles for an older max spindle sander? To be clear, I am not concerned about the rubber drums, but rather the spindles themselves. There is one available in my area that appears to be in good shape, but it's missing all but two spindle sizes. I use the full range of sizes for the work I do, but I have been looking for a machine of this caliber in my area for some time. If there is a good source for spindles, I will definitely jump on this machine.

I believe Tannewitz sells MAX now. They have them on their website. Tannewitz is an old iron manufacturer in the US. Might require a phone call to them versus email.

New ones run between 150 and 200 each.
    Best to find one with all the spindles.
    I once shipped a state b4 to TX for under 200 bucks.

Broaden your search, a complete machine is worth it.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Darcy is right re: find one with the spindles or expect to be changing the drums to suit your sanding needs, spindle is the same for all but the small (<3/4") ones.
    You need to i.d. which spindles fit the sander you're considering- There were five different styles over the production period for the sander; the current spindles availible from Tanny only fit the latest two models, and they seem to think they fit them all- when I ordered one to see if it fit mine, it didn't despite their insistence it did.
    YMMV
    Good luck with it, they are really good sanders.

I bought an older one and it had a bad oil leak. The seal was very hard to find and it took me a while to get one that was supposed to work. This was maybe 6-8 years ago. After a couple of years mostly just sitting in my shop, the crankcase seal is again leaking. Does anyone know if this is just a feature or do yours hold oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I bought an older one and it had a bad oil leak. The seal was very hard to find and it took me a while to get one that was supposed to work. This was maybe 6-8 years ago. After a couple of years mostly just sitting in my shop, the crankcase seal is again leaking. Does anyone know if this is just a feature or do yours hold oil?
    My max's have not leaked, a couple of my states did, but I had a seal made. There are places that can make any kind of seal out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Darcy is right re: find one with the spindles or expect to be changing the drums to suit your sanding needs, spindle is the same for all but the small (<3/4") ones.
    You need to i.d. which spindles fit the sander you're considering- There were five different styles over the production period for the sander; the current spindles availible from Tanny only fit the latest two models, and they seem to think they fit them all- when I ordered one to see if it fit mine, it didn't despite their insistence it did.
    YMMV
    Good luck with it, they are really good sanders.
    That's a good tip. I'll see if I can get the serial number from the seller. Judging from photos, I think it's a more recent machine so I might be in luck there. Ideally I'd find a fully stocked machine, but I just have not come across any. When I say it's in my area, it's still 250 miles away....

Well, I picked the machine up. I've seen a couple comments in older threads about the Grizzly spindles being compatible with the Max machine. Can anyone speak to that? Can someone with the Grizzly G1071 machine take measurements of the tapered end of a spindle for me? I measured the taper on my machine. There is 1/4" straight section of .69" and 1.15" of taper that goes down to 6.3" That works out to roughly 5/8" per foot of taper.
    IMG_20171102_192938835.jpgIMG_20171102_192849854.jpgIMG_20171102_192752382.jpgIMG_20171102_192723324.jpgIMG_20171102_185014201_HDR.jpgIMG_3470.jpg

I believe that's the 3rd style of spindle from max. Short MT #2 taper and short threads. Don't believe they sell those new anymore. Used are about 100 bucks each.

Darcy Warner
    I believe that's the 3rd style of spindle from max. Short MT #2 taper and short threads. Don't believe they sell those new anymore. Used are about 100 bucks each.
    Yes, right again; short MT#2 with undecut threads. I have the same ones and they told me the current style fits, but they won't seat all the way on my machine. Just got to look around and wait until some of the right size show up.

So is it just the taper is too long on the new ones? If so, could you not just undercut that section of the spindle on the lathe? That would be an easy modification to make.

Yes, right again; short MT#2 with undecut threads. I have the same ones and they told me the current style fits, but they won't seat all the way on my machine. Just got to look around and wait until some of the right size show up

Sorry, just looked at my previous post and saw a mistake- I have had the same ones( from Tannewitz) and they won't seat properly on my machine. Mine has the Short Morse#2 taper with Max Loc threads, no undercut, so its a different length. The undercut models are shorter than mine and current production spindles too long on both the taper and thread.

On mine, the thread bottoms out and honestly, didn't want to take the time to cut back the taper and grind the threads just to find out if it will fit, just sent it back. They might fit yours, you'd have to give it a try

FYI & FWIW, there were/are six spindle tapers made for the Max spindle sanders- Original taper with a flat, Morse #2 full taper, no threads or flat,full Morse # 2 with safetylock threads, Short Morse #2 with safety lock threads(mine), Short Morse#2 with undercut threads and the current Short Morse #2 with undercut threads which is longer than the previous model and they say fits the earlier sanders with the short taper.

So far, only the short taper threaded with no undercut fit mine.

Sounds like I'll have to do some experimenting. I've ordered a grizzly spindle and will attempt to modify it to make it fit. They are incredibly inexpensive so pretty low risk. I'll report back. In the mean time, majority of my work will be with the 3/4" and larger sizes so I'll be able get to work with this machine.

Just a side note-
    Why do the Max sanders all end up painted beige? Yours is at least the fourth one, including mine, painted that color. Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    Just a side note-
    Why do the Max sanders all end up painted beige? Yours is at least the fourth one, including mine, painted that color. Weird
    That was the factory color for quite a long time. Last couple I had were that color, it was factory paint.