Thread: Grizzly model G1495 spindle thread question

Grizzly model G1495 spindle thread question

Been watching for a larger better lathe than what I have. A Grizzly model G1495 came up nearby. When i checked out the manual on line, no where does it state the spindle thread. I found a Grizzle spec sheet that states the spindle thread is 1x12. Almost all their current offerings are 1x8. Frankly, I have face plates and chucks already for 1x8 and if it really is 1x12, it isn't worth my time or gas to go look at it.

Anybody have one and can tell me if it really is 1x12 TPI ?

I searched it and this is the first thing that came up.. http://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g1495_ds.pdf
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-31-2017 at 7:25 PM.

As i SAID ABOVE, i found the Grizzly spec sheet, but suspected a typo since ALL their other large lathes are 1x8. I had enough Chinese and Japanese equipment over the years to find all kinds of typos in their literature. That is exactly why I asked for the answer from someone that might have one.

I think you can probably believe the spec sheet.

You can call Grizzly customer service and confirm.

If the machine is otherwise a good fit for you, I wouldn't agonize over whether it has an 8 tpi or a 12 tpi spindle. PSI and Grizzly each sell an adapter to go from 1-12 to 1-8 for around $25-30. If you have a different sized chucks with an insert, just buy a new insert.

That gap-bed lathe has the troublesome cheaply made reeves drive, the gap also makes it hard to use turning close to the headstock.

As someone that had one, and bought a new lathe, I won’t sell it as I would not wish this lathe even onto my enemy

Don’t shoot me, I rather have you not get/buy problems, there are lots of better lathes out there.
    Have fun and take care

Wink I too thought it might be a 1 x 8 TPI

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Been watching for a larger better lathe than what I have. A Grizzly model G1495 came up nearby. When i checked out the manual on line, no where does it state the spindle thread. I found a Grizzle spec sheet that states the spindle thread is 1x12. Almost all their current offerings are 1x8. Frankly, I have face plates and chucks already for 1x8 and if it really is 1x12, it isn't worth my time or gas to go look at it.

Anybody have one and can tell me if it really is 1x12 TPI ?

So I bought a nut that size to build my own faceplate but it wouldn't thread. The nut was too course. So, therefore, I can
    substantiate that it is indeed a 1 x 12 TPI. Guess I will take my nut back and exchange. Hope this clears it up

I have a friend with this same lathe. It has a 1x12 spindle thread. You will need an adapter if you want to use your face plates. I agree with Leo

a lot of older Grizzlly lathes have 1"x 12 spindles so it very likely could be that.

Several of that model came up at the same time on our local Craigs list. But I was able to purchase an old variable speed Delta Rockwell with several faceplates and attachments. I can use all the same faceplates that I already had for my HF lathe and I can adjust the speed down to 300 rpms for bowls. All for about half of the used Grizzly prices.