Thread: Oneway Jumbo jaws

Oneway Jumbo jaws

When I visited Lee Valley in Halifax recently, I picked up a set of jumbo jaws for my Stronghold chuck. I put them on lathe and they flopped around like a wounded duck. All the wiggle is from the base jaws in the chuck. I bought the chuck used and really hadn't notice the loose fit. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 10-31-2017 at 6:50 PM.

I would suggest that Oneway replace them.

Eugene, I'm sorry, but I think the chuck you bought was pretty much worn out. One-way will not replace the slides for free, but you can buy a set. They are not all that hard to replace, but I don't know how expensive they are. There should be a small amount of play when they are not being used, but no great amount.
    Len

My Mega Jumbo Jaws and Jumbo Jaws do have no play, but the base jaws they are screwed onto have some play in the chuck body slides, so yes the Jumbo jaws do have play for that reason, Oneway does sell base jaws sets, about $50-- IIRC.

But remember wood chucks have to have some clearance (more than metal turning chucks) or they seize up.
    Have fun and take care

$51.95 for new base jaws.

Not sure how to tell if they are worn out. Visually, they have some surface shine but no really apparent loss of metal. The slides on the chuck look reasonable as well. The chuck seems to work and hold just fine with #2 jaws and the jumbo. It centers well and so far no projectiles have been launched. I just didn't notice any looseness until I installed the jumbos.

I'll hold course for now I think.

It might be worth your time to call Oneway for some help diagnosing the problem. I have found them to be very helpful when calling them with questions.

--Geoff

We've been emailing back and forth.